Face it Folks - The Detroit Tigers Are Simply a Much Superior Team to the Orioles

Old#5fan

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Historically teams are better at home, you can't use ~50 games to extrapolate much difference.

Someone mentioned Detroit hitters playing well in Oriole Park. Not sure who exactly was being mentioned, but Miguel Cabrera's career OPS is basically identical (956 @ Camden, 963 career). Torii Hunter's is higher (902 @ Camden vs 799 career).

I don't think you can take a lot from any of those splits. There's a lot of noise - when in his career did those at bats occur, vs what quality of pitching, etc.

Not to mention, as far as the Orioles organization is concerned, an extra home playoff game could be worth ~$1M in revenue.

Agreed.

Also, for what it's worth, the Orioles are 18-12 over their last 30 home games:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2014-schedule-scores.shtml

And, they're 11-6 over their last 17 (home) games.

So, as the Orioles continue to evolve from a slightly above average team into a very good team as the season progresses, their play in their home park ALSO continues to evolve and improve as the season progresses.

Hmmm... is it just me or does anyone else notice that OldFan posts less often when the O's are doing well? :-)

I will give him credit. Since he has been allowed back, he's been much less "old fan like"...Haha. I kid old fan, I kid.

I will give him credit. Since he has been allowed back, he's been much less "old fan like"...Haha. I kid old fan, I kid.

That's actually pretty true... with the exception of this thread of course. This was classic OldFan. Overreaction, Small Sample Size, Dust Up with Another poster, pure OldFan Gold!

It would be ironic if we end up squaring off with Detroit in the post season.

That's actually pretty true... with the exception of this thread of course. This was classic OldFan. Overreaction, Small Sample Size, Dust Up with Another poster, pure OldFan Gold!

It would be ironic if we end up squaring off with Detroit in the post season.

We should be. AL West VS WC winner AL East VS AL Central.

I just see this series sweep at OPACY no less, a clear cut case of onte team showing their clear superiority over another. The Tigers have superior strarting pitching, a superior closer (heck the Orioles have no closer other than a pseudo one in Hunter) and they have a superior offense. They also can play small ball with speed. I truly see no weakness in that team.

The only area the O's can probalbly beat them in ins defense but other than that, they really are not anywhere near the class of that team from Motown. To get embarrassed at home is what makes this so much more painful IMO, but it is what it is.

Better luck next year. Even if the Orioles make the playoffs somehow, they are clearly no match for Detroit. Really, not even close...

Dear Old Fan. I think you are full of it. Beans that is. ?

o

The Tigers ...... leaders in the A.L. Central division ...... have been much better on the road than they are at home so far this year. :scratchchinhmm:

HOME:O 27-27

ROAD:O 31-20

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

The Tigers may indeed be a better team than we are, but I don't believe that they are overwhelmingly better, as the O.P. asserted two and-a-half months ago.

Now that they have Price I don't see us winning any game against them in the playoffs, but I guess we could get lucky and take one game in the series. I honestly think if the Orioles would take them in the playoffs it would be almost as big an upset as the 69 Mets beating the O's.

Now that they have Price I don't see us winning any game against them in the playoffs, but I guess we could get lucky and take one game in the series. I honestly think if the Orioles would take them in the playoffs it would be almost as big an upset as the 69 Mets beating the O's.

Yeah, Price has been spectacular in the post season. Especially as a starter.

The Tigers and A's have superior talent.

Look up how many years the most talented team wins the world series...its less than 50% I would bet my house on that. Getting hot >>> Talent in the playoffs. Talent gets you there, luck and being hot gets you the hardware. Our biggest threat IMO (Tampa) is certainly worse...I like were we sit and come playoff time we will see if we can catch that lightening in a bottle.

You do know that we have beaten him before and i am sure you remember the 66 series when the Os went up against two HoFers in Drysdale and Koufax and beat both. Point is anything can and will happen in the post season.

Are you even watching the same team? The O's beat Felix Hernandez, Iwakuma, Jared Weaver and Garrett Richards in the last 6 games. That's four guys that are every bit as good as the Tigers rotation (actually better). How in the world can you doubt this team's ability to even win ONE game against the Tigers?

I have no idea why your even a fan if you are THAT negative about the O's.

Archived