Send Ubaldo To The BP

Il BuonO

I'm going to say this again: Ubaldo needs to be put in the bullpen/change of scenery because he had a 4.01 ERA in 8 starts in May and June? But Chris Tillman doesn't even though up until his last start he had an ERA approaching 7?

When does Tillman struggle the most?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the bullpen is where he needs to be.

The Rays sent one of their pitchers (Price?) to the DL to get some rehab starts last year because he couldn't locate any of his secondary pitches despite not being hurt.

Os need to do the same if they are going to do anything with him. Ubaldo's mechanics stink, but from reading older articles on him it seems his head may be more the issue.

When does Tillman struggle the most?

Seriously? The first inning for Tillman is his worst and I'm sure one of that stats guys around here has a link to prove it at their fingertips.

And to continue the thought, that means it's probably even more unlikely that Tillman goes to the Pen. Given Tillman's problem with his first inning, he'd have to come in when it's safe- kind of like what happened with Tommy Hunter last year for a bit. Tillman needs regular work to get things back on track, or a trip to the dl.

I'm going to say this again: Ubaldo needs to be put in the bullpen/change of scenery because he had a 4.01 ERA in 8 starts in May and June? But Chris Tillman doesn't even though up until his last start he had an ERA approaching 7?

Exactly this. He needs to keep going out there starting and figure it out. If he does get on a roll, we could see several dominant starts out of him...I think (hope?!) that we will.

Then the big question is going to be if we have the guts to start him in a potential one game wild card round.

I agree that Ubaldo is probably not going to the pen. But I think the reasons are different than most. He has certainly been erratic, but that is something that we knew. There will be periods of erratic pitching with periods of Ace pitching. I think they will give him a lot of leeway as long as his ERA is doesn't balloon too high. Frankly, I agree that he has been trending better overall and personally think we are closer to getting the lights out version sooner rather than later.

Also, believe that Buck is speaking to Ubaldo, but especially Tilly as Wildcard note below:

Buck's message to Ubaldo and Tillman: if you don't want to go to the pen.....pitch better.

This is not a bad problem to have by the way and if someone needs to visit the DL for a brief rest, I think that is gonna be the solution IMHO.

Has Buck expressed this message to anyone?

Buck talking about Gausman and Gonzo before Gausman's last start:

"I think he's capable of contributing as both, but one of the reasons why we did not take him in our bullpen is because of where he is right now, so he's available to pitch as a starter if we have a physical need. But they always control it for the most part. 'I'd pitch better if you pitched me more.' Well, pitch better and you'll pitch more. That's how it works, so he kind of controls that, as does Miguel."[/QUOTE]

I would think it would apply to all the pitchers.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/06/big-night-for-gausman.html

o

I have no problem with the Orioles sending Jimenez to the bullpen before tonight's start.

Then bring him out to the pitcher's mound for a few more warm-up tosses before facing the Jays.

Exactly. And if that doesn't work, let him pitch batting practice. Oh wait, he's doing that already...never mind.

In his 8 starts prior to his last one he had an ERA of 3.30. He has a meltdown and you want to send him to the pen? June is his best month in terms of his career. I'm willing to take the chance that he is as good or better the next 8 starts.

Archived