Last-minute attempt by O's to sign ace holding up trade

birdsfan4ever

Brilliant timing.

Seriously, how come no one thought of this before a blockbuster deal was hanging in the balance?

Sometimes, I really wonder about Angelos's sanity. He's had the whole blasted winter to make him an extension offer, and he waits until his hand-picked Operations guy is ready to make a deal.

I truly wonder if this guy has any idea about what he's doing. He should go back to practicing law.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to think what Churchill said was right:

"But the same Orioles rep that gave me the trade offer details has told me Angelos has told McPhail he's fine with the trade as long as extending Erik Bedard is not a realistic option at this point.

<b>McPhail has apparently informed Angelos that extending Bedard is not the best route to putting a contending team on the field sooner than later, at least in his opinion. </b>"

There is a difference between what is a "realistic option" (what Angelos reportedly asked) and what is the "best route" (what MacPhail apparently answered). If Bedard won't sign long term, then the trade is a no-brainer. If Bedard would sign long term, then the trade becomes a much tougher call. And the more reasonable the contract is, the tougher the call is.

I do understand that the majority of posters are dead-set on trading Bedard. I lean towards thinking a trade would be best, but my judgment would be influenced by two factors: (1) the strength of the package offered in exchange, and (2) the chances we could sign Bedard long term, and the terms of any such deal.

Brilliant timing.

Seriously, how come no one thought of this before a blockbuster deal was hanging in the balance?

The two sides haven't talked about a long-term deal in close to two months. Now, after much back-and-forth over weeks of negotiating, and with a reportedly acceptable offer on the table, the Orioles decide now is the time to do a 180 and try to keep Bedard long-term.

The Seattle paper was reporting that on Monday, Angelos was having a minor foot procedure done. I've heard of cold feet before, but was Angelos' procedure treatment for frostbitten feet?

You're really surprised?

I'm done at being surprised with this team. What an freaking joke.

We keep Bedard for some 5 year deal....Decide against BRob for Pie and Gallagher.

Go with what we have and wonder why we are the laughing stock of the sport.

What a bunch of morons.

Wow, that is blockbuster news if true. I have never seen a situation with so many twists and turns. If I wake up one day soon to the news that Bedard has signed a 5-year deal with us, I won't know whether to laugh or cry.

Is Angelos really doing this? Is he overruling MacPhail's judgment, or did MacPhail want him to make this call?

Here's a scenario:

1. MacPhail has discussions with Piepers and concludes Bedard is not receptive to a long-term deal.

2. MacPhail tells Angelos that a long term deal is not in the cards.

3. On that basis, Angelos OK's a trade with Seattle.

4. Bavasi tells Adam Jones to fly home.

5. Angelos reads the published reports that Bedard "wouldn't mind" re-signing with the Orioles (which first appeared in the Canadian press), and concludes he approved the trade under an incorrect assumption.

6. Angelos tells MacPhail to put the brakes on until they take one last shot at Bedard.

7. Angelos calls Bedard and proposes a 5-year deal; Bedard says he might be interested.

8. Seattle deal put on hold while the O's explore this further.

Plausible?

Where does the Jones health issue fit in?

There is a difference between what is a "realistic option" (what Angelos reportedly asked) and what is the "best route" (what MacPhail apparently answered). If Bedard won't sign long term, then the trade is a no-brainer. If Bedard would sign long term, then the trade becomes a much tougher call. And the more reasonable the contract is, the tougher the call is.

I do understand that the majority of posters are dead-set on trading Bedard. I lean towards thinking a trade would be best, but my judgment would be influenced by two factors: (1) the strength of the package offered in exchange, and (2) the chances we could sign Bedard long term, and the terms of any such deal.

I picked up on this distinction as well. Perhaps PA asked AM to confirm that it wasn't a realistic option to sign EB before he finalized the deal, and that is what is occurring now. Not what I would like to see happening, but ... well I guess we will see.

Archived