Orioles Trade Targets?

Nite

The Astros are now considering listening to offers on him, McHugh and Cosart. Keuchel is the only LHP out of the three and is controllable through 2018.

His FIP (3.02) is lower than his ERA (3.11) and he sports an attractive ERA+ of 128. His SO/9 is nothing great (7.0) but his SO/BB ratio is 3.3 as he's only walked 30 batters all season in 127.1 IP. Maybe best of all, he's thrown 3 CG and averages 6.7 IP P/S.

I'd like to grab Hamel's but I see no way a) Amaro is smart enough to know a good offer when he hears one and b) Hamel's waives his no trade clause w/o some kind of extension.

If the Astros are dumb enough to let go of young talent we should oblige them.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/astros-open-to-trading-keuchel-mchugh-cosart.html

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Astros are now considering listening to offers on him, McHugh and Cosart. Keuchel is the only LHP out of the three and is controllable through 2018.

His FIP (3.02) is lower than his ERA (3.11) and he sports an attractive ERA+ of 128. His SO/9 is nothing great (7.0) but his SO/BB ratio is 3.3 as he's only walked 30 batters all season in 127.1 IP. Maybe best of all, he's thrown 3 CG and averages 6.7 IP P/S.

I'd like to grab Hamel's but I see no way a) Amaro is smart enough to know a good offer when he hears one and b) Hamel's waives his no trade clause w/o some kind of extension.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/astros-open-to-trading-keuchel-mchugh-cosart.html

And Keuchel has allowed only 6 HRs over 127 IPs this season -- that sells me. Keep the ball in the park, don't walk batters and let the fielders pick it. Plus, he's a lefty, which is extra-special as the Orioles approach the part of the schedule with games versus ALEast teams.

Go get him, DD!

Interesting, but I imagine the price for cost controlled talent like that would be farm system depleting steep, right?

Probably. But in this case, the Orioles receive some value in team control in return.

26 years old and under control until 2018 and they want to trade him? I guess they don't think they will be competitive anytime soon. Either that or they think the market demand will be so high they can't miss the opportunity.

(or maybe he was one of the guys mouthing off about Appel)

And Keuchel has allowed only 6 HRs over 127 IPs this season -- that sells me. Keep the ball in the park, don't walk batters and let the fielders pick it. Plus, he's a lefty, which is extra-special as the Orioles approach the part of the schedule with games versus ALEast teams.

Go get him, DD!

That's almost an argument against him. His career HR/9 is more than double that. Sounds more like a string of luck.

I'd like this

Ah, the thread is back open I see :D

Anyways, I mentioned the same thing in the Trade Target thread but I'll say it here too. Keuchel would look terrific in the O's rotation but when you look at his past success its not much to write home about. This seems like a good chance to be a sell high situation for the Astros. He is young and he wasn't awful in the minors so its possible he could have just figured it out and will be a great pitcher from here on out but I don't think you give up one of our top 3 banking on a little over half a season of good baseball.

It'd be an interesting risk to take though.

Anyways, I mentioned the same thing in the Trade Target thread but I'll say it here too. Keuchel would look terrific in the O's rotation but when you look at his past success its not much to write home about. This seems like a good chance to be a sell high situation for the Astros. He is young and he wasn't awful in the minors so its possible he could have just figured it out and will be a great pitcher from here on out but I don't think you give up one of our top 3 banking on a little over half a season of good baseball.

It'd be an interesting risk to take though.

iPad error on my part.

There was a vicious exchange between SO CAL and WEAMS, that culminated in this:

I'd like this.

I can't believe that he re-opened it after that.

Knock-down, drag-out, no holds barred.

Archived