3/33 extension: Hardy or Markakis

Scrat1

Do you extend Hardy or Markakis?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you extend Hardy or Markakis?

This poll is closed to new votes

Easier to find a replacement for Nick than JJ. Hardy is currently still the best defensive SS in the AL and his bat is stiil good for a SS. Barring a HanRam signing, I don't see any better options at SS.

Groucho provides the correct answer.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heart says Nick, head says JJ.

Alvarez is lurking in the minors, I think we have something there. But Nick is an Oriole, I can't imagine him being anywhere else.

Count me as skeptical on Alvarez. He was great in April and May, but slumped in June, and though he is hot at the moment, his overall .830 OPS doesn't wow me.

Both Hardy and Markakis will be tough to replace. Hardy will be the tougher of the two.

Interesting question in a void, but in the real world, the Orioles will overvalue Nick like no other team will, and Hardy will be heavily sought after by the Yankees, so I believe Nick will be back and JJ won't...

Unless DD signs Hardy to an extension before the end of the season.

I'm not sure why there's this recurring theme that the O's will wildly overvalue Markakis. I think there's, well, if not a majority than a substantial minority of folks who think Markakis' current deal has been a debacle. That they wouldn't resign him to a 2/20 deal. All last year there were threads talking about trying to find some kind of straight salary dump just to be rid of him.

But other teams, outsiders, would look at Nick's career and see a guy who (with one exception) has been very durable, gets on base, is seen as a professional, a good teammate, and if anything I hear non-Baltimore announcers, writers, etc talk about him like he's a very good player. I think he's probably valued more highly by other teams than by the O's die hard fanbase. Don't know if that's reflected in the Oriole management.

I think we can, should, and will.

I like Hardy but my gut is that he will continue to decline. Would not be upset by that deal but feel if you have a guy who can play the position and is younger you should utilize that and look to get younger.

I would then look to package some guys not named KG, Bundy, or Harvey to acquire a young 3B. I like the idea of having an infield that includes Schoop, Machado, and whomever they acquire to go with those pitching prospects.

Markakis I would resign to that deal. He could be insurance also if lose CD and Walker is not ready yet.

Don't want Nick back. He's just declining too much. He will be lucky to have a 2 WAR season this year.

Hardy I'd want to keep' date=' but that that just delays Machado moving to SS. I want Machado to play SS next year, or the year after that at the latest.[/quote']

.295/.355/.762 is declining? No disrespect but you need to take a much closer look at his stats. Those numbers are pretty much in line with his normal production prior to last year. Little more than some season, less than others. I will grant his fielding is not what it was but he is certainly capable of holding down a corner OF position for another couple seasons.

Agree on your points regarding Manny though. I think they should move him to short, keep Schoop at 2B and then pursue a youngish 3B to go with KG, Bundy, Harvey and Tillman. Add in Adams production and one of Matt or CD and that's the makings of a monster team in my opinion for some time to come.

I like Hardy but my gut is that he will continue to decline. Would not be upset by that deal but feel if you have a guy who can play the position and is younger you should utilize that and look to get younger.

I would then look to package some guys not named KG, Bundy, or Harvey to acquire a young 3B. I like the idea of having an infield that includes Schoop, Machado, and whomever they acquire to go with those pitching prospects.

Markakis I would resign to that deal. He could be insurance also if lose CD and Walker is not ready yet.

Hardy is not declining defensively. If anything he's having one of his best years with the glove. Manny may be as good at SS as Hardy, but I doubt it. And nobody is going to give you near what you get from Manny at 3B.

.295/.355/.762 is declining? No disrespect but you need to take a much closer look at his stats. Those numbers are pretty much in line with his normal production prior to last year. Little more than some season, less than others. I will grant his fielding is not what it was but he is certainly capable of holding down a corner OF position for another couple seasons.

How much are you willing to pay for a 762 OPS and bad defense? For a less than 2 WAR season for the next 3 years?

Archived