Scrat1

Do you extend Hardy or Markakis?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you extend Hardy or Markakis?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good question. Nick is slowly becoming a statue in RF, but his bat still plays and he brings OBP that the team, in general, lacks. Hardy brings, spectacularly solid defense, and his bat plays big time at SS (or 2B). That said.

I would probably offer 3/33 to Nick and give a qualifying offer to JJ.

Nick's my favorite player, but in that scenario I'd give the 3/$33 mm to Hardy. Per fangraphs, in his time as an Oriole, he's been worth $19.3 mm, $11.7 mm, $16.8 mm, and so far this year (55% of the way through the season), $8.9 mm. He's a very good bet to exceed $33 mm in value the next three years. Per the same source, Nick has been worth under $10 mm in each of the last 5 seasons, though he's on pace to be worth about $15 mm this year.

I think each of those players will get a contract of 3/$33 mm or more, though not necessarily from us.

I'm going with Markakis...call me sentimental but I like the thought of Markakis being an Orioles lifer as long as he takes some sort of discount. I can't say that 3/33 seems like too much of a discount but I'd bet that he could get more than that on the open market. I think Hardy declines quickly and I also think Machado should be moved to SS so that presents itself as a no brainer to me at this point.

Interesting question in a void, but in the real world, the Orioles will overvalue Nick like no other team will, and Hardy will be heavily sought after by the Yankees, so I believe Nick will be back and JJ won't...

Unless DD signs Hardy to an extension before the end of the season.

Interesting question in a void, but in the real world, the Orioles will overvalue Nick like no other team will, and Hardy will be heavily sought after by the Yankees, so I believe Nick will be back and JJ won't...

Unless DD signs Hardy to an extension before the end of the season.

Keeping him from the yankees is one bonus to extending Hardy.

Archived