Bottom line we need a real closer.

Greg

Yep, unless Buck names him the closer and uses him like he uses closers. Johnson had 63 GF in both 2012 and 2013.

O's have a lot more save opps then the Phillies.

I'd assume that we would avoid that. With a mercenary. Not a homegrown guy who just saved a team record with an insanely good close rate. It would be Dan's responsibility to make sure that option does not vest.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm OK with Britton as the usual closer, but I would use Tommy Hunter in a close game where the ninth inning is going to bring up one or more dangerous lefties. Or O'Day, but he's obviously doing fine in his role.

In 11 appearances since a terrible outing against the Jays on June 15, Tommy has pitched 13 2/3 innings, giving up 6 hits and no earned runs -- with no walks. (He did have a blown save against the Sox on July 6, long before Lough's triple and Hardy's RBI won it in the 12th.) Not surprisingly with those stats, he also gets high grades, from me and I think everyone else, on the eye test. He looked very good against the A's on Friday night (no hits, 2 K's in 1 1/3).

I don't know whether those numbers tell you that Hunter could close, or that he's great as long as he's not closing because he lacks the mental make-up. But with the starters going a little longer, and Buck tied to O'Day in the 8th and Britton in the 9th when the score's close, and not using Hunter when it's not close, he's underutilized.

I believe a closer should only be used to put out a fire, meaning the previous pitcher is in trouble, and it can be anyone out of the bullpen, even in the middle of the 9th inning. I know I'm in the minority, but that's the way they did it in the 60's.

I believe a closer should only be used to put out a fire, meaning the previous pitcher is in trouble, and it can be anyone out of the bullpen, even in the middle of the 9th inning. I know I'm in the minority, but that's the way they did it in the 60's.

In the 60's they would put a fire out in the seventh then stay in and finish the game.

Britton came in with runners on 1st and 2nd base, with 2 outs.

He faced one batter.

He struck him out.

But it was unconvincing. He not only threw a ball, he threw three of them. He made some fans uncomfortable. He must be replaced and quickly.

But it was unconvincing. He not only threw a ball, he threw three of them. He made some fans uncomfortable. He must be replaced and quickly.

I didn't agree with Buck of taking O'Day out, but it worked. With runners on 1st and 2nd and 2 outs, a batter at the plate and one in the on-deck-circle, I knew the 'save' rule just went into effect with a 4-run lead. And I knew damn well Buck would be out there to insert his closer, and that's exactly what happened. Such a stupid stat that messes up how the flow of the game can be reversed.

I didn't agree with Buck of taking O'Day out, but it worked. With runners on 1st and 2nd and 2 outs, a batter at the plate and one in the on-deck-circle, I knew the 'save' rule just went into effect with a 4-run lead. And I knew damn well Buck would be out there to insert his closer, and that's exactly what happened. Such a stupid stat that messes up how the flow of the game can be reversed.

And messes up the team's salary structure.

He threw four of them. A guy swung at the last one.

Effective pitching in other words. Zach was rightly - if uncharitably - criticized for giving Cespedes and Donaldson strikes to hit the night before. I genuinely don't understand why everyone isn't ecstatic about Britton's emergence as a closer. All things considered, we have every right to expect more rough spots than we've been given but with the exception of the two meltdowns, he's been solid.

Archived