vs. INDIANS, 8/16

OFFNY

Well it could be worse. At least that awful Miguel Gonzalez is safely in Norfolk. Just imagine how bad it would be if he were pitching this game.

We still have 0 runs in the game and 1 run in 16 innings this series. I agree that Gonzo should be but this series is 100% on the offense. No way around it.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone think he makes the PO roster?

If the season ended today, I'd say "maybe not." However, given the amount of money they've put into the guy, the O's will probably have a very, very low bar between now and the end of September for whether he makes it (i.e., if he strings together a couple of good starts late in the season, he's probably on, even if it's a bullpen role).

Between Ubaldo and Matusz holding onto roster spots, keeping Gonzo at Norfolk is beyond infuriating at this point.

We still have 0 runs in the game and 1 run in 16 innings this series. I agree that Gonzo should be but this series is 100% on the offense. No way around it.

Last night is on the offense. They had chances, and didn't take advantage (especially the Davis whiff with the bases-loaded one out.) They got a leadoff walk, and Jonathan blew the sacrifice bunt. They only needed two runs to win, and couldn't get them.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• If I'm reading this correctly, the Orioles are 6th in defensive value this year and the White Sox are dead last by a lot: to date, they're at -54 runs; the worst team in baseball for all of '23 was -72 (https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/team_compare.cgi?request=1&year=2024&lg=MLB&stat=runs_fielding). So the difference between Burnes and Fedde must be the defensive adjustment. FWIW, fWAR using FIP has them even at 2.0 WAR apiece; using RA9 Burnes is ahead 2.9 to 2.4.
    • One game at a time. Let’s go O’s 👍🏻
    • You do realize our pen has given up fewer runs, fewer hits, fewer BBs, has a lower WHIP, and has more Ks?  I get that they don’t pass your eye test, but the numbers don’t back that up.  With all that said, I think they need to reinforce the pen but let’s stop with the dramatics.  
    • The OP is too pessimistic. NYY is 5-5 in their last 10, Orioles are 8-2. NYY have cooled down, as predicted. The O's are getting them at the right time. With that said, it's baseball. Anything can happen. I would be surprised if the Orioles don't take at least 2 out of 3, though.
    • Objectively speaking I would have WAY MORE confidence in Rodon than Irvin/Kremer/Suarez. And I LOVE what both Irvin and Suarez have done for us this season and couldn’t have dreamed of either giving us any more than they have.
    • Holliday is not getting traded IMO, so there’s really no point in discussing that. But there is a case to be made that the other two are a bit redundant and if we plan on doing some extensions, they could be expendable (at least one of them). Off the top of my head. I would strongly consider Miller or Crochet for one of them. I guess I look at it like this, I can see a realistic plausible scenario of us winning a championship or more without the services of Basallo or Mayo. However, I cannot see ya winning this season as is without a meaningful upgrade to the current pitching. Many said all last season, the pitching was good as is, until it (predictably) wasn’t.
    • Well for starters, there closer and set up man are both better than ours. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that the Yanks pen is better than the Phills by any stretch. But it is better than ours.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now