Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

OriolesManiac88

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

I'm trying to avoid arguing about things that we know nothing about (i.e., the identity and/or ethical disposition of Davis' doctor...or if he even has one who's prescribed him Adderall recently).

It is really irrelevant. You can get banned from the Olympics for taking over the counter stuff like cough syrup. Whether he had a prescription for it or not it is still against the rules. If someone has a prescription for steroids would that make it OK?

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Davis recently give up chewing tobacco also? Seems like to me he tried to give up too much all at once. The easiest solution to this problem is to get a rx for the medicine. Wes Welker just had the same thing happen. With 1/10 players getting and MLB exemption, not going through the legal channels is just plain stupid. Where the heck was Boras after the first failed test?

Questioning if such suspensions should occur is not the same as saying that Davis' suspension isn't justified.

That's splitting hairs. Should such suspensions occur in the future? I don't know/care right now...but there are mechanisms that the player's association can use to question/potentially alter the rules. Should such suspensions occur right now? Yes, absolutely...because the rules say so. And Davis knew that.

I'm trying to avoid arguing about things that we know nothing about (i.e., the identity and/or ethical disposition of Davis' doctor...or if he even has one who's prescribed him Adderall recently).

This and it's very possible that Davis (or any player) could be legitimately prescribed Adderall by a doctor and MLB still doesn't approve it's use by the player. We don't know what goes into any of that...

I am sure some people have it but probably less than 5 percent of the people who are prescribed the drugs for it as children. I used to have foster kids and I saw kids on all sorts of drugs and psychiatrists who would prescribe stuff by asking kids what they were taking and not even looking up to see which kid they were talking to.

Well I guess when you're out of your element, it's always best to bring up anecdotal evidence to support your position.

That's splitting hairs. Should such suspensions occur in the future? I don't know/care right now...but there are mechanisms that the player's association can use to question/potentially alter the rules. Should such suspensions occur right now? Yes, absolutely...because the rules say so. And Davis knew that.

I don't think anyone has disputed that.

No one had it when I was growing up now everyone has it. Pharmacy companies and schools just want everyone on Meds. I am guessing the US leads the world in the cases of this. People are crazy to put their kids on drugs. The parents are all probably on anti depressants. People think drugs will solve their problems.

This is completely out of line.

What's so out of line with this OPINION???????

I agree with the sentiment that we are a very over-medicated country. They have everyone taking pills----or that appears to be their goal.

Probably the part about "Parents are crazy to put their kids on drugs," among other things. It's a pretty classless remark -- and a pretty ignorant opinion -- to assume you know the circumstances of a child's health more than their own parents do.

Archived