Leaving out Kevin Gausman from the PO rotation not smart

Oriolesallday

I agree with the last sentence for sure. I just think its interesting that he'd put the highest paid pitcher on the team in the Pen. Buck always talks about "track records" and I think that's why Roberts and Vlad got so much rope. Ubaldo has a "track record" as well, but he stashed him away. Hopefully, he knows to put his best players out there and give his team the best chance to win in the playoffs.

Ubaldo has a mixed track record.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He struggles with his command too much for my liking. 1.33 WHIP, worst of the 5 starters. 2 pitch pitcher.

How do you consider him a two-pitch pitcher. He has a split, change, fastball and slider/curve. If you don't consider his breaking ball a true pitch (and I have seen nice improvement this year), yet, then that still makes three.

The problem I see is that he isn't commanding them well enough. I think he should be in the pen/spot starter.

Personally I'd leave Chen out. All righties all the time against Detroit.

Yeah as I mentioned elsewhere - Detroit not only crushes left-handed pitching (.791 OPS vs L, .747 OPS vs R) but they also do not walk a lot relative to other playoff teams such as the A's or Angels. I think I recall Buck giving Chen an extra day of rest at some point to have him pitch in the series after Detroit rather than face them. Could be wrong about that, though.

How do you consider him a two-pitch pitcher. He has a split' date=' change, fastball and slider/curve. If you don't consider his breaking ball a true pitch (and I have seen nice improvement this year), yet, then that still makes three.

The problem I see is that he isn't commanding them well enough. I think he should be in the pen/spot starter.[/quote']

Some folks consider his change and split to be the same pitch.

I am glad that I don't have to make the decision.

Chen did not pitch against Detroit this year.

Kevin gave up 5 Earned in 4 innings with a 3.9 BABIP

You got me.

I know I want Tilly and Gonzo toeing the rubber though.

EDIT: Bud pitched against Detroit twice.

12 IP

14 hits

9 ER

3.16 BABIP

Yep, I agree. Here's what I would love to see although I don't think it will happen:

Game 1: Tillman

Game 2: Gonzalez

Game 3: Gausman

Game 4: Chen

Game 5: Tillman

Norris piggybacking onto Gausman or Chen (whichever gets into trouble).

This just seems to be what's best for the Tigers as an opponent. If we go on to face the Angels, then I want Norris to be in the rotation at that point (since he's absolutely dominated them).

Why? The action is very different. The speed is different.

They say basically that a change is a change and a fastball is a fastball. They don't consider 2 and 4 seam fastballs to be different pitches either.

I disagree but after spending the better part of an afternoon discussing it, I gave up.

They say basically that a change is a change and a fastball is a fastball. They don't consider 2 and 4 seam fastballs to be different pitches either.

I disagree but after spending the better part of an afternoon discussing it, I gave up.

This cracked me up! I hear ya.:smile11:

Archived