Roberts to the Cubs again?

Ricky Bobby

Why? They are clearly the cream of the names that the Cubs seem to be offering, but how will they help what the Orioles are tying to do? Acquiring Gallagher and Murton would seem to be redundant, considering the other moves we have made. We have quite a few guys in the mix for the 4-5 spots in the rotation, Gallagher would add one more name to that list. With Nick, Jones, and Scott, Murton becomes the #4 OF. With Huff and Millar, DH/1B is covered until one or both is traded. We are very weak throughout the system in middle infield and this trade would exacerbate that problem. Who would lead off? We would be creating huge holes offensively and defensively, and not really filling anything. If anything, such a trade would only reduce the PT for the other prospects we've acquired and force us to DfA two more players from our 40-man.

Now, none of us know what McPhail has been discussing with various other GM's and perhaps he has a trade worked out sending one of the OF's and one of the SP's somewhere for a top SS or 2B prospect, or both; but on the surface the Cubs' rumored offers just don't seem to fit what we are tying to accomplish. Other teams seem to have a better fit as far as having major league ready prospects that appear to meet our needs.

By the same token, maybe the Cubs are offering a Hill, Pie, or Marmol in the package for Roberts and Hendry may well have another trade worked out to plug whatever hole that creates for the Cubs.

We just don't know what may be going on behind the scenes, but without another trade behind it, Roberts for Gallagher, Murton, plus one is not a deal McPhail should make IMO.

This is exactly right. BAL would be trading with CHN because it's convenient (not a good idea) and taking Patterson/Murton because CHN has no need for them (4th OF/fringe back-up 2b).

The Cubs make little to no sense as a trade partner for Roberts. I screams "making a move just to make a move".

QUALIFIER -- I realize there may be a bigger picture, secondary moves, etc. This is based solely on the perameters of the proposed BRob deal with CHN.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The reason for this is simple. Roberts' value to the Cubs is diminished because while he is a better player than DeRosa, he isn't a massive upgrade. So Roberts overall value is worth more than his value to the Cubs because they already have a decent fallback plan. They won't pay as much as other clubs would because its not as desperate a need.

I do think that Hendry and Piniella might have a bit of a crush on Roberts and would be willing to deal more than they otherwise would/should, but I still don't think we'll get a premiere package from Chicago for Roberts.

This is one of many reasons why you don't trade Roberts to CHN...

I was responding to the rather explicit "if the Cubs don't want Sherrill then drop Marmol" comment. Johnny seems to value Sherrill more, whereas I was merely pointing out that the Cubs wouldn't do a one-for-one swap of the two players. If Johnny were demanding that swap be included in his trade proposal, I wouldn't have felt such a need to point out that the Cubs wouldn't agree to the optional part of the swap.

What he said!

I was responding to the rather explicit "if the Cubs don't want Sherrill then drop Marmol" comment. Johnny seems to value Sherrill more, whereas I was merely pointing out that the Cubs wouldn't do a one-for-one swap of the two players. If Johnny were demanding that swap be included in his trade proposal, I wouldn't have felt such a need to point out that the Cubs wouldn't agree to the optional part of the swap.

OK, gotcha. I agree Marmol is definitely more valuable than Sherrill. I just don't agree with Johnny that that trade proposal works if you take out Sherrill and Marmol. To me, Marmol is the centerpiece of that deal from the Cubs side and Sherrill is there to mitigate part of the pain of losing Marmol for the Cubs.

This is one of many reasons why you don't trade Roberts to CHN...
Well, if you can't get a premiere package from anybody, which I think may be the case, then the package from the Cubs (Murton, Gallagher, Patterson and/or Cedeno) is still a very good one.

I understand the knocks on Patterson and Cedeno, but the people bashing Murton and Gallagher are way off base, IMO. They (Murton especially) may be blocked in Chicago, but that doesn't mean that they don't have value, or would be better over the next 4-6 years than Roberts will be over the next 2. Patterson and/or Cedeno are icing on a good, but not great cake, IMO.

Well, if you can't get a premiere package from anybody, which I think may be the case, then the package from the Cubs (Murton, Gallagher, Patterson and/or Cedeno) is still a very good one.

I understand the knocks on Patterson and Cedeno, but the people bashing Murton and Gallagher are way off base, IMO. They (Murton especially) may be blocked in Chicago, but that doesn't mean that they don't have value, or would be better over the next 4-6 years than Roberts will be over the next 2. Patterson and/or Cedeno are icing on a good, but not great cake, IMO.

I agree, and this is a very good way to put it. I guess I'd prefer to hold onto Roberts until a better package comes along. Who knows, it could be a better package from the Cubs three months from now. More likely, I think you have a shot at COL/CLE/SDN biting on Roberts for a little more than I'm seeing CHN offer now.

I agree, the Cubs are not a good match for a Roberts trade.

They are as soon as you stop thinking of the players involved as "guys the Cubs don't need" or whatever spin you put on the theme that implies these guys are a bunch of rejects.

By that logic, guys like Josh Hamilton and Jarrod Saltalamacchia are junk, too.

I still think the Cubs are a great fit for Roberts.

After taking league difficulty, age and baserunning into account, the gap between Roberts and DeRosa is significant (about 2 wins), and sliding DeRosa over to a utility spot is probably worth another half win.

With the rosters as they are right now, I think the Brewers are the team to beat in the Central, and I don't see the Wild Card coming out of the Central this year.

All in all, I think adding Roberts will significantly improve the Cubs' odds of making the playoffs. That's not a luxury.

They are as soon as you stop thinking of the players involved as "guys the Cubs don't need" or whatever spin you put on the theme that implies these guys are a bunch of rejects.

By that logic, guys like Josh Hamilton and Jarrod Saltalamacchia are junk, too.

The Cubs prospects are not junk, they just don't fill needs in the BAL organization as well as other prospects might. The Cubs also don't need Roberts, so there is little incentive for them to make a "blowm me away" offer. That's all.

Archived