Markakis 4/48m or Rios 1/8.5m?

wildcard

MLBTradeRumors has Markaksi with a 3 year/39 mil contract if he has a QO attached (4 years/48 million without one). Its totally possible.
Because they say so? Why would Nick be offered more than Cruz, Morales, Drew etc. were last year when they cost a pick?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He certainly has the reputation around baseball as one of the best RF in the game, defensively.

If that's true, I just don't get it. We watch him every day and he doesn't have much range, which is by far the most important attribute of an outfielder. His arm is good, instincts and reactions average or so. By Tango's Fans Scouting Report he's the 8th or 9th-best RF in baseball. Among qualified RFers he's 4th by UZR, about 10th by bb-ref.

I guess the consensus is that he's above average, certainly top 10. Maybe a case for top 5. 15+ runs ahead of the trailers like Kemp or Torii Hunter. But also a long, long way behind Jason Heyward, who's pretty clearly the best defensive RF in the game.

"One of the best RF in the game" isn't an awful tag, as long as it's in that context. But there's no way I slap a "great" tag on him.

At least this year the data was more favorable than I'd assumed. He really is 4th in UZR/150 among qualified RFers, even if he's ~20 runs from #1.

Just watching the games, I thought he had a very good year in the field. No his foot speed isn't good, but if Nick can possibly get his glove on the ball by sliding or diving, he will catch it. So, that extends his range a bit over other players with similar speed.

Is he a "great" RF? I guess it depends how liberally one uses the term "great." I certainly would not use that term.

If that's true, I just don't get it. We watch him every day and he doesn't have much range, which is by far the most important attribute of an outfielder. His arm is good, instincts and reactions average or so. By Tango's Fans Scouting Report he's the 8th or 9th-best RF in baseball. Among qualified RFers he's 4th by UZR, about 10th by bb-ref.

I guess the consensus is that he's above average, certainly top 10. Maybe a case for top 5. 15+ runs ahead of the trailers like Kemp or Torii Hunter. But also a long, long way behind Jason Heyward, who's pretty clearly the best defensive RF in the game.

"One of the best RF in the game" isn't an awful tag, as long as it's in that context. But there's no way I slap a "great" tag on him.

That's fair enough.

The numbers were very "kind" to Markakis this year for whatever reason.

Six months ago some here were saying Cruz was Markakis equal defensively because the numbers said so.

How many still believe that?

Hell, how many believed that by April 15th.

Archived