Markakis 4/48m or Rios 1/8.5m?

wildcard

Frontloading makes more sense than the opposite, when you are paying the most for a player's worst years. Look at A-Rod this year. The Yankees wish that one had been front loaded for sure.

Why do the Yankees wish they had more money tied up during A-Rod's good years when they were competing and using the freed up money to surround him with players that brought them a WS?

Present money is always worth more than future money. The future is far too uncertain.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reason 3- Unknown future. Maybe Nick agrees to get traded after two seasons. Maybe he retires.

Maybe the Martians invade. With today's luxury tax, I am sure that the major market teams will never front load. And the smaller ones will never want to. It's a bad idea. Sometimes with inflating salaries a bad deal ends up looking better in a few years and you can offload it.

Unknown future works both ways. Nick could be injured in Year 1 and you will be stuck with the balance of the contract.

Inflation is a negligible consideration when you are talking a 3-4 year contract. Even so, I could see a case for backloading say 3% increases per year based on inflation. But look at Miguel Cabrera's deal. His salary explodes from $22 million this year to $32 million in 2022-23. THat is extremely short-sighted in my opinion. I think DET will be regretting that one. Moreover, even considering inflation, I would expect a player like Nick's production to decline faster than the rate of inflation. It already is.

Investing? I don't think an MLB club is going to invest its payroll in the stock market. They would just spend the money on another player. That is what DET is thinking, but it's going to kill them in 2022.

Contract inflation is not negligible. Real inflation may be.

Why do the Yankees wish they had more money tied up during A-Rod's good years when they were competing and using the freed up money to surround him with players that brought them a WS?

Present money is always worth more than future money. The future is far too uncertain.

Always. The guy you owe may forget to tell his heirs.

Why is it worth less? Because a GM knows he might not be around by the end of the deal?

It'll still impact the team the same now as it would then.

The production and $ are completely separate and, as a result, the $ should be delayed as much as possible.

Maybe the Martians invade. With today's luxury tax, I am sure that the major market teams will never front load. And the smaller ones will never want to. It's a bad idea. Sometimes with inflating salaries a bad deal ends up looking better in a few years and you can offload it.

Front and back loading have nothing to do with the luxury tax.

Contracts are graded on an AAV basis.

You have to get tricky like the Yankees did a few years ago to massage it.

Front and back loading have nothing to do with the luxury tax.

Contracts are graded on an AAV basis.

You have to get tricky like the Yankees did a few years ago to massage it.

Ah. Yes. Thanks. How did the Yankees do it? Is that now illegal? Was it those Milestone awards?

Frontloading makes more sense than the opposite, when you are paying the most for a player's worst years. Look at A-Rod this year. The Yankees wish that one had been front loaded for sure.

Actually, ARod's contract is the rare one that was frontloaded. His contract started at $28 mm, peaked at $33 mm in 2009-10, then declined. He's making $21 mm, $20 mm and $20 mm in the final three years.

Unknown future works both ways. Nick could be injured in Year 1 and you will be stuck with the balance of the contract.

Inflation is a negligible consideration when you are talking a 3-4 year contract. Even so, I could see a case for backloading say 3% increases per year based on inflation. But look at Miguel Cabrera's deal. His salary explodes from $22 million this year to $32 million in 2022-23. THat is extremely short-sighted in my opinion. I think DET will be regretting that one. Moreover, even considering inflation, I would expect a player like Nick's production to decline faster than the rate of inflation. It already is.

Investing? I don't think an MLB club is going to invest its payroll in the stock market. They would just spend the money on another player. That is what DET is thinking, but it's going to kill them in 2022.

This reads like someone who has his heels dug in and won't acknowledge he's wrong.

Do you think they would just leave their money laying around in the bank? Of course, ant extra money would be invested. They'd be stupid not to do that.

Like many before me have said, I don't think Markakis will necessarily get four year, but if he doesn't I don't think it's from the Orioles. I don't think DD will ultimately balk at $12M AAV (though that is likely a bit high), but I don't see him going four years. I do think Rios is an interesting option as a back-up to Markakis.

Markakis isn't going anywhere. Angelos will do whatever he needs to keep him in Orange and Black...the Greeks are funny that way. ...at least they are up here in New England! I'd take Rios over Kakes though, we need to increase team speed.

You neglected to share your ethnic heritage with us so we could make random stereotypical remarks about you.

Invade? Is that a probe?

No it's a pen.

No it's not it's a probe!

Markakis isn't going anywhere. Angelos will do whatever he needs to keep him in Orange and Black...the Greeks are funny that way. ...at least they are up here in New England! I'd take Rios over Kakes though, we need to increase team speed.

I know... Fool me once shame on you. Fool me 37 times shame on me...

But I think Angelos is completely divorced from any baseball decisions now. I think he has FINALLY learned his lesson. I mean, he let the beloved Brian Roberts go. No more or less loved than Markakis.

That being said, I think it's 50-50 if Nick is back next year. He wants it. The club I think more or less wants it. On decent terms... If they can find that middle ground he'll be back.

Archived