Markakis 4/48m or Rios 1/8.5m?

wildcard

Well if that is an accurate projection then the O's need to slap a QO on him.

While I understand the arguable business logic of that, there's something that bothers me about declining an option that's going to cost you $15.5 mm (above the $2 mm buyout), and then "slapping" a $15.3 mm QO that is going to really hurt a guy's market value. But if the O's did that, I'd take the QO if I were Nick.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I understand the arguable business logic of that, there's something that bothers me about declining an option that's going to cost you $15.5 mm (above the $2 mm buyout), and then "slapping" a $15.3 mm QO that is going to really hurt a guy's market value. But if the O's did that, I'd take the QO if I were Nick.

What I am saying is if his market value is legitimately around 4/48 then you should be able to safely offer a QO. No sensible player is going to take 15.3 if he has a chance at 4/48.

Of course if his actual value to other teams is much less then that it is a different story. I wouldn't give him a QO if my in house projection had him at 3/33 for instance.

Can you do a QO after declining an the option?

So pay him $2.5MM and then offer him an $15.3MM deal? You end up paying him more than what we just declined. Nick would take the QO and we would be way overpaying for him (which is why we already declined his option)

Hopefully the Orioles and Nick have a fair deal in place like a 3/30 with a 4th year option.

What I am saying is if his market value is legitimately around 4/48 then you should be able to safely offer a QO. No sensible player is going to take 15.3 if he has a chance at 4/48.

Of course if his actual value to other teams is much less then that it is a different story. I wouldn't give him a QO if my in house projection had him at 3/33 for instance.

The MLBTR profile suggested Nick's market would be around 4/48 if he did not receive a QO and 3/39 if he did.

My guess is that if he gets a QO, he is most likely to be signed by a team that wouldn't forfeit a first round pick, either because they don't have to give one up or because they've already lost it. It's hard for me to imagine a team giving up a first round pick for Nick.

So pay him $2.5MM and then offer him an $15.3MM deal? You end up paying him more than what we just declined. Nick would take the QO and we would be way overpaying for him (which is why we already declined his option)

Hopefully the Orioles and Nick have a fair deal in place like a 3/30 with a 4th year option.

The buyout is $2 mm, not $2.5 mm. And I don't think the option has been declined yet. It has merely been reported that the O's are expected to decline it.

The MLBTR profile suggested Nick's market would be around 4/48 if he did not receive a QO and 3/39 if he did.

My guess is that if he gets a QO, he is most likely to be signed by a team that wouldn't forfeit a first round pick, either because they don't have to give one up or because they've already lost it. It's hard for me to imagine a team giving up a first round pick for Nick.

I would be good with a QO with a 3/39 projection. I know that if I am a player I would prefer 3/39 over 1/15.3.

They can, but it seems like kind of a dick move for the organization to do to Markakis, and since they've had such a good relationship over the years I can't see that happening.

Sure, the O's should just give away a draft pick so Nick can make more money playing for another team.

It is a business.

They can, but it seems like kind of a dick move for the organization to do to Markakis, and since they've had such a good relationship over the years I can't see that happening.

That's crazy. If the O's think they can get a draft pick out of Markakis, you do it. He's made more than enough money from the O's relative to his on-field production. Only reason they shouldn't do it is if it has a ripple effect with the way free agents and players view the O's that will outweigh the benefit of the draft pick.

That's crazy. If the O's think they can get a draft pick out of Markakis' date=' you do it. He's made more than enough money from the O's relative to his on-field production. Only reason they shouldn't do it is if it has a ripple effect with the way free agents and players view the O's that will outweigh the benefit of the draft pick.[/quote']another reason to do it is if you really wish to resign your player. You do have an advantage then. Because other teams will price their offers down to absorb the pick hit.

another reason to do it is if you really wish to resign your player. You do have an advantage then. Because other teams will price their offers down to absorb the pick hit.

Yes, the only reason you don't do it is if you are afraid he will take it and you can't afford to pay him that for one year.

That's crazy. If the O's think they can get a draft pick out of Markakis' date=' you do it. He's made more than enough money from the O's relative to his on-field production. Only reason they shouldn't do it is if it has a ripple effect with the way free agents and players view the O's that will outweigh the benefit of the draft pick.[/quote']

It would basically force him to come back since he'd have no market with a QO attached to him, and then you have a disgruntled Markakis next year since we prevented him from getting his big contract. Just let the guy go instead of getting into a crappy situation like that.

Archived