Buck tells 1057TheFan. Orioles are currently working on deals for Cruz & Markakis.

Greg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont' see any reason to expect Davis back. He hit less than .200, struck out all the time plays first base mediocrely and failed a drug test for a second time. No way they pay 10+ million for him.

I'll be quite surprised if he doesn't come back. If he had the last few years for another team we'd be advocating for him as a buy-low candidate, certainly if he was non-tendered. You just can't ignore the fact he was worth nearly 9 wins and had 86 homers in the previous two years, and will still be paid less than free agent rates for a one-year deal. It's minimal risk.

I'll be quite surprised if he doesn't come back. If he had the last few years for another team we'd be advocating for him as a buy-low candidate, certainly if he was non-tendered. You just can't ignore the fact he was worth nearly 9 wins and had 86 homers in the previous two years, and will still be paid less than free agent rates for a one-year deal. It's minimal risk.

When you have a budget crunch and you need extra money from somewhere to sign more productive players, he sticks out like a sore thumb as somewhere they can save money. I'd agree that he'd stay if we didn't have as many high profile free agents we need to keep around.

On top of that, if for some reason the Orioles decided they did NOT want to pay that for Davis, there are probably 20-25 other teams that would, and would be interested in trading for him.

You just don't release a player like Chris Davis. That idea never made any sense.

When you have a budget crunch and you need extra money from somewhere to sign more productive players, he sticks out like a sore thumb as somewhere they can save money. I'd agree that he'd stay if we didn't have as many high profile free agents we need to keep around.

Who says we have a budget crunch? We spent 115 M last season and DD says the payroll will go up. Before picking up options we are currently at 85M and that includes estimated arb. for both Wieters and Davis.

Who says we have a budget crunch? We spent 115 M last season and DD says the payroll will go up. Before picking up options we are currently at 85M and that includes estimated arb. for both Wieters and Davis.

I meant it as that we aren't going to have the 130-135 million to keep around both Cruz and Markakis, so we need to look to shed salary somewhere if we want to keep them around.

If I'm rolling the dice I'd rather take a chance on Davis at 1/11 than on Cruz for three or four years and a higher average annual value.

11 million dollars is an awfully high price for a Davis lottery ticket

Do you know that despite struggling all season and missing games to suspension and injury Davis still finished tied for 19th in home runs? Did you know that only 11 players hit as many as 30 home runs last year? That one player hit the 40 home run mark?

Power is a rare resource right now.

They would trade Davis before they would non-tender him. Some team will be more then happy to pay 11 million.

Do you know that despite struggling all season and missing games to suspension and injury Davis still finished tied for 19th in home runs? Did you know that only 11 players hit as many as 30 home runs last year? That one player hit the 40 home run mark?

Power is a rare resource right now.

They would trade Davis before they would non-tender him. Some team will be more then happy to pay 11 million.

Mark Reynolds had 37 homers a couple years ago and ended up as a replacement level player.

Theres more to baseball than just homers, and Davis sure didn't give it to us last year.

Mark Reynolds had 37 homers a couple years ago and ended up as a replacement level player.

Theres more to baseball than just homers, and Davis sure didn't give it to us last year.

The prior two seasons he gave the Orioles nine wins.

On a team with few holes and many regression candidates Davis and Machado are two of the more likely sources of increased production.

Archived