Buck tells 1057TheFan. Orioles are currently working on deals for Cruz & Markakis.

Greg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 million a year for a DH?

Yikes!

Just trying to be conservative thinking "how much would we have to offer to match the Yankees." But you are probably right. I have seen O's "want" 2/$30. Ortiz made $16m. Maybe they end up matching the Ortiz number or they do 2/$30 plus some incentive money if he stays off the DL. Nelson did play quite a bit of LF (unlike Ortiz) and may want to be paid as a LF.

No to $18MM for Cruz.

Why trade Norris? Gonzo would get more in return as he's not a FA until 2018. Norris would be the type of pitcher you move at the deadline if the season is tanking.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Trading Norris saves more money next year and you always need pitching. I doubt they intend to try to keep Bud beyond this year and Gonzo gives us 3 more seasons. If our pitching is deep enough the Orioles could always deal Gonzo down the road.

I would bet a sizable chunk of change that the Orioles do not sign Cruz before he becomes a free agent. I'm sure Dan is trying.....but I hope he doesn't meet the sky-high costs I'm sure Nelson is asking for.

Only way he signs here before FA is if he really wants to stay and isn't looking for the most money. Perhaps they will try a deal like Hardy with deferred money.

No way in God's creation with Wieters, could always trade Davis but I doubt it.
I don't think there is any way they would non-tender Wieters. Davis...maybe...guess it depends on how much the FO and Buck were ticked off at him.

Yeah, Wieters is definitely back next year. Plus we wouldn't save that much money anyways because they would have to replace him with someone else, Hundley presumably. So you'd only really save $5-6 million and likely lose a decent amount of production. Doesn't make any sense at all.

I personally would rather roll the dice on Davis, a 29 year old who can play the field, at 1/10 million than give a 35 year old DH 2/30+. That just strikes me as stupid.

Yeah, Wieters is definitely back next year. Plus we wouldn't save that much money anyways because they would have to replace him with someone else, Hundley presumably. So you'd only really save $5-6 million and likely lose a decent amount of production. Doesn't make any sense at all.

I personally would rather roll the dice on Davis, a 29 year old who can play the field, at 1/10 million than give a 35 year old DH 2/30+. That just strikes me as stupid.

What if they can do both? One thing about being a DH is less wear and tear on your body. They have already committed to Hardy through 2017.

One question is how much more money will the Orioles bring in next year? They aren't selling anymore 13 game plans, the smallest now is at 20 games. I have no desire to give Cruz 4 years and would prefer 2 but 3 years at a reasonable cost isn't crazy in a win now more.

Archived