Roch: O's discussed Lind trade w/Blue Jays

mdbdotcom

The gap between Pearce and Estrada is quite big. Makes me wonder how much interest there was between the two teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or it brings back to earth evaluation of Pearce. By someone who obviously wants him.

The gap between Pearce and Estrada is quite big. Makes me wonder how much interest there was between the two teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't understand the Estrada deal from Toronto's standpoint at all. I guess they wanted the O's to pay a premium for an intra-division deal. Or, they just didn't want to deal with the O's so they asked for pie in the sky, hoping they might get it.

Glad to hear the O's were in on Lind. If this report is true, it tells me a couple of things.

1. The O's intend to use Steve Pearce as a regular. If Pearce were to be a bench player or a platoon guy (against LHP's), there would be little reason not to trade him for Lind who, at the very least, could be your DH against RHP (many more AB's than a RH platoon player).

2. It is far from automatic that Chris Davis is back. If the plan was to get Lind without giving up Pearce and assuming the above (#1), then Pearce would have been a regular and Lind would have been at least a semi regular in the O's plans. While the O's were supposedly attempting get get Lind, they were also in negotiations with Markakis. This could lead one to the possibility that the plan might have been Pearce at 1B with Lind the LH part of the DH equation with Davis non-tendered or traded.

Not so sure I agree. I don't think that because the Orioles want Pearce it means he will play everyday. Pearce is more flexible than Lind. I think getting Lind might of been the end of Lough. DeAza could play CF in a pinch. Lind would start vs RHP. Pearce could still be the 10th guy. I think a deal for Lind would have increased the odds like someone like Young being back.

Glad to hear the O's were in on Lind. If this report is true, it tells me a couple of things.

1. The O's intend to use Steve Pearce as a regular. If Pearce were to be a bench player or a platoon guy (against LHP's), there would be little reason not to trade him for Lind who, at the very least, could be your DH against RHP (many more AB's than a RH platoon player).

2. It is far from automatic that Chris Davis is back. If the plan was to get Lind without giving up Pearce and assuming the above (#1), then Pearce would have been a regular and Lind would have been at least a semi regular in the O's plans. While the O's were supposedly attempting get get Lind, they were also in negotiations with Markakis. This could lead one to the possibility that the plan might have been Pearce at 1B with Lind the LH part of the DH equation with Davis non-tendered or traded.

I don't think Pearce affects Davis. The Orioles have two key offensive FA they may have to replace. If one or both of them go, there going to rely on Pearce to help fill that void. To get rid of Davis for his poor 2014 would be as foolish to expect Pearce to duplicate 2014.

How would a trade for Lind have impacted Chris Davis, also a left-handed hitting first baseman who's in his final year of arbitration eligibility after making $10.3 million in 2014? The Orioles are expected to tender him a contract.

This is the most interesting thing.

While I'm glad we didn't let go of Pearce, it shows the O's are 100% committed to keeping Davis and his huge salary around next year.

Guest rochester

I have a feeling that is there is any way possible and, especially if it can save some $$, Davis will be gone. I truly believe that both Buck and his teammates were publicly as diplomatic as you can. IMO, at best, there will be a split in the clubhouse, at worst, a distraction... Buck will not allow that. I know, they are professionals, they make a lot of $$, but the bottom line truth is that what he did was selfish.

Sounds bad for Davis.

If we find a solid, cheaper option to replace Davis, I think we will. Otherwise, we will pay for the lottery ticket.

This was a DH move if made.

I didn't understand the Estrada deal from Toronto's standpoint at all. I guess they wanted the O's to pay a premium for an intra-division deal. Or, they just didn't want to deal with the O's so they asked for pie in the sky, hoping they might get it.

Pearce is the sky? His value has really gone up from having no use on the team to being sky high in value in a half a season.

Archived