You know what's maddening? The sound of crickets.

DrLev

If it's not requred then they don't owe it to you.

El Gordo, you're a pretty smart guy. That said, your response is pretty dumb.

Lot's of things in life AREN'T required, but we have enough common courtesy and respect for others to do them anyway.

I don't think anyone here is asking for a dissertation or a blow by blow breakdown of the minutes, I think people just want to see a three sentence response as to WTF happened.

It seems like the O's will do things grudgingly. They'll grudgingly trade their star players to do a full rebuild and they won't be happy about it. They'll grudgingly talk to the press if they have to and they won't be happy about it.

They'll slowly and surely piss off every remaining fan as best as they can because they simply don't care about how the remaining diehards perceive them.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking of doctors, if the hold-up has been to examine a medical issue involving Jones (which I personally believe is the case), the O's and M's probably can't discuss that in public. Which explains the lack of information.

Bottom line: if the deal gets done, I'm not going to worry about this any more. On to the next issue.

Call me crazy but I really think the hold up since Monday is the bad weather in Ottawa. Physicals Mon. Evaluated Tues. EB told to fly to Seattle on Weds. Snow. Bedard flies on Thurs.

Good analogy. If AM is late getting the team to your date on OD, then I think you have an excellent case.

But this situation is like expecting your date to tell you everything she's doing to get ready for the date during the *weeks before* you actually have the date. And, because she's not telling you every little thing she's up to every minute, including who else she's talking with on her phone, you're sneaking around, trying to get news about all her various activities from her coworkers and neighbors. That's the kind of attitude and behavior that can lead to women getting a restraining order against wacko freaks like you! ;-)

LOL, alright rshack, I didn't mean it literally. :D

Its just common courtesy, if someone's late for a meeting, a date, etc, it's nice if they explain it. I'm not asking for gory details here dude ;)

Way to go, Orioles. Way to kill any excitement left about this trade.

I can't believe this. This is what SO many of us have been pulling for, for months now. And now it's here. We're getting a slew of prospects for our best pitcher...if all goes well, this could be one of the biggest turning points in franchise history.

And what has the franchise done? Sucked any life and any excitement out of the moment.

This would be a time to promote, promote, promote and try to rope in casual fans and get them excited about this team again, and it seems like they're trying to do ANYTHING but that.

Nope, they'll just grudgingly move along at their own sloths pace, make by what all accounts seems to be a blockbuster deal and offer no explanation as to why it took almost half a month.

Call me crazy but I really think the hold up since Monday is the bad weather in Ottawa. Physicals Mon. Evaluated Tues. EB told to fly to Seattle on Weds. Snow. Bedard flies on Thurs.

Agreed ...But hopefully the Seattle news article is correct & he is there as of 5:58 PM or whatever the guy reported.

LOL, alright rshack, I didn't mean it literally. :D

Its just common courtesy, if someone's late for a meeting, a date, etc, it's nice if they explain it. I'm not asking for gory details here dude ;)

Way to go, Orioles. Way to kill any excitement left about this trade.

I can't believe this. This is what SO many of us have been pulling for, for months now. And now it's here. We're getting a slew of prospects for our best pitcher...if all goes well, this could be one of the biggest turning points in franchise history.

And what has the franchise done? Sucked any life and any excitement out of the moment.

This would be a time to promote, promote, promote and try to rope in casual fans and get them excited about this team again, and it seems like they're trying to do ANYTHING but that.

Nope, they'll just grudgingly move along at their own sloths pace, make by what all accounts seems to be a blockbuster deal and offer no explanation as to why it took almost half a month.

I agree that it will be very interesting to see how much of the story we ever hear... and, if we do hear it, who we hear it from. I would not be surprised if AM did in fact give a summary version of it. But I bet he won't go into detail about who-said-what-when, simply because that would be violating professional confidence. He's in the same GM-club as these guys, and it'd be breaking a club-rule to kiss-and-tell.

I agree that it will be very interesting to see how much of the story we ever hear... and, if we do hear it, who we hear it from. I would not be surprised if AM did in fact give a summary version of it. But I bet he won't go into detail about who-said-what-when, simply because that would be violating professional confidence. He's in the same GM-club as these guys, and it'd be breaking a club-rule to kiss-and-tell.

Really? I get the impression that AM won't say more than he has to...which in this case, is nothing.

Again, I don't want the details, just a brief summary and what the holdups were.

While we spend so much time on here talking about overhauling the product on the field, this is a franchise that needs an overhaul of what it does for PR.

not really, we're just spoiled by 2nd and 3rd hand information on this board. rarely will a front office of any sport explain their internal soap operas to the public, this is no different.

Ahhh you beat me to it. But i agree, you have to understand most teams do not have a website entirely dedicated to the obbsessive fans (at least not one this large). These types of negotiations occur with every trade that goes down, you just wouldn't know because no where else can you find insiders that can both make your day and rip your heart out the next. The reason why you feel this way is because you know exactly what is going on, or the basis of it. Or do you? Are we wrongly accusing the Orioles FO? What evidence do we have to say they are the reason for the hold up? None. You can speculate all you want, but at the end of the day, the MLB is a business and the only thing the Orioles owe to us die-hard fans is to put out a team that can suceed, which believe it or not, they are on there way to do.

Good analogy. If AM is late getting the team to your date on OD, then I think you have an excellent case.

But this situation is like expecting your date to tell you everything she's doing to get ready for the date during the *weeks before* you actually have the date. And, because she's not telling you every little thing she's up to every minute, including who else she's talking with on her phone, you're sneaking around, trying to get news about all her various activities from her coworkers and neighbors. That's the kind of attitude and behavior that can lead to women getting a restraining order against wacko freaks like you! ;-)

*Just because I'm enjoying the analogy*

Isn't it a little more like... my date totally missing the night and because I'm absolutely obsessed with her I spend every waking minute the *weeks after* our missed date trying to figure out why she missed, if she was alive and healthy, if there was another guy, did she actually look in the window...see me...and try to go back to her old boyfriend, or what!! If she finally does show up for the date a few weeks late, I'll still be there waiting (I'm desperate), but yes, I would like to know what is going on.

Does she have to tell me? No.

Does she owe it to me? Not necessarily.

But I'll tell you this much - she's not getting a second date unless she's got some kind of reasonable explanation.

Someone already made this point- but it's worth repeating, Were it not for the OH and the influx of rumors and innuendo all over the internet for non-stop fans- there'd be no need to explain anything. Yes there would be reports in the newspaper... but not NEARLY as much. It's the internet and blogs like this- and insiders- that force the rest of the media to keep up and therefore speculate at a fast and furious (some would say irresponsible) pace.

I live in Los Angeles- and were it not for this site- I'd have only heard a few mentions of this trade on espn- and I'd be excited for the resolution.. but definitely not EXPECTING an explanation.

Someone who says they expect an explanation for the holdup- might as well be saying, "I have no life except for the Orioles," or, "My life has been pit on hold because of these trade hold-ups damn it!" "Someone owes me an explanation!"

I dont' feel like I'm owed an explanation. One might be nice and I'd take it- but I don't feel privileged to one.

And anyone who expects an explanation- I'd say owes MacPahil an apology first- for all the slack he's taken on here the past few weeks!

I dont' feel like I'm owed an explanation. One might be nice and I'd take it- but I don't feel privileged to one.

And anyone who expects an explanation- I'd say owes MacPahil an apology first- for all the slack he's taken on here the past few weeks!

I don't feel like I expect one, either. I think one would be REALLY nice, but I'm not expecting it.

I just think it'd do the O's some good if they did. Reaching out to the fanbase can't hurt.

El Gordo, you're a pretty smart guy. That said, your response is pretty dumb.

Lot's of things in life AREN'T required, but we have enough common courtesy and respect for others to do them anyway.

I don't think anyone here is asking for a dissertation or a blow by blow breakdown of the minutes, I think people just want to see a three sentence response as to WTF happened.

It seems like the O's will do things grudgingly. They'll grudgingly trade their star players to do a full rebuild and they won't be happy about it. They'll grudgingly talk to the press if they have to and they won't be happy about it.

They'll slowly and surely piss off every remaining fan as best as they can because they simply don't care about how the remaining diehards perceive them.

Your right I am a smart guy, and no my response is not dumb. Think a bit. Put yourself in AM's place. Suppose what you imagine to be the reason for the delay is so. What are you going to say to the press. Most of the public aren't following this drama as we poor idiots are. They really don't care. The O's are like a TV show in it's off season, say the Sopranos . What explanations do they owe you, the avid fans , during their preparations for the upcoming season. Just what ever will wet your interest and get you to watch. If there are scandals unearthed by the paparazzi, Gandolfini is caught in his skivies maybe, then their PR people put a spin on it. But they aren't going to tell you who gets hit in the upcoming episodes. If PA meddled you can't expect AM to tell you that.

Your right I am a smart guy, and no my response is not dumb. Think a bit. Put yourself in AM's place. Suppose what you imagine to be the reason for the delay is so. What are you going to say to the press. Most of the public aren't following this drama as we poor idiots are. They really don't care. The O's are like a TV show in it's off season, say the Sopranos . What explanations do they owe you, the avid fans , during their preparations for the upcoming season. Just what ever will wet your interest and get you to watch. If there are scandals unearthed by the paparazzi, Gandolfini is caught in his skivies maybe, then their PR people put a spin on it. But they aren't going to tell you who gets hit in the upcoming episodes. If PA meddled you can't expect AM to tell you that.

It wouldn't have to be said in some kind of press conference, but I'm sure Roch or others would be happy to sit down with PA or AM and ask them questions about what the 3 year holdup is. What's the harm in them saying they wanted to make sure they got everything they could in the deal - I think we'd all love to hear what's been going on behind the scenes.

It's much easier to live with someone who communicates what they're doing and why than someone who just does whatever they want and tells you (or doesn't tell you) to deal with it.

If I'm in AM's place, I realize that not only do I have to make trades for the good of the ballclub, but that part of my job is public relations as well.

I probably realize that there's a certain contingent of fans that are following every move here and I'm really not worried about them, because they're the ones who've been here for years, through thick and thin.

I realize that this is part PR and that the casual fan out there might be caught offguard by this move.

I make a very general statement to the press as to the decision and why it tok so long. Very vanilla, very general, very plain to appease the die hards and the casual fans.

My parents are casual fans, they ask me every so often if the O's have gotten a clue yet. I told them that they're on the verge of trading Bedard and they exploded. They still don't fully get it.

It's public relations, nothing more, nothing less.

It'd be nice if the Warehouse didn't treat everything like it was top secret.

If the O's are the Sopranos, they can whet our appetites this offseason by making trades. After the trades are done and the offseason is over, they can open up a bit as to what happened behind the scenes, similar to the behind the scenes documentaries and shorts that you'll see on the Soprano's dvd.

Archived