You know what's maddening? The sound of crickets.

DrLev

Here is a reply to Dan Connolly's article in today's Sun regarding why the club needs to trade Roberts. This is your average fan speaking :
Jake from Salisbury : WE'RE TRADING AWAY ALL OUR STAR PLAYERS FOR A BUNCH OF MINOR LEAGUE DREK.MCFAIL WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY AS THE WORST GM IN MY BELOVED ORIOLES HISTORY. WE'RE NOT EVEN TRADING PEOPLE TO MAKE ROOM FOR PROSPECTS. WE HAVE NO BACK UP FOR TEJADA,BEDARD OR ROBERTS. IT'S INSANE TO TRADE YOUR BEST PLAYERS TO STOCK THE LOW MINOR LEAGUES.

All caps, just like that?

Wow. That's going into my sig.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Gordo

The difference is I already know what supply and demand are and gravity as well. If you don't want to bother to understand what I'm talking about, so be it. My prostate gives me enough trouble as it is, I don't need to engage in adolescent pissing contests as well.

The fact you dragged your prostate into this greatly offends my colon.

Now children!!! ;):P Behave now, shake hands and make friends. :)

Talk about letting a thread slide down to a place where I don't want to be...prostates, colons....yikes. :D

:)

O rly?

There's a poster on here who's been a huge diehard fan for his entire life. He's probably seen more O's stuff in his entire life, has more memorabilia and has more O's stories than any of us. He's spent time with Palmer, Brooks, Frank, Cal and Boog. He's apparently got an O's room in his home that anyone would kill for.

And he wasn't a member of this board until Tony went out and invited him. Was he not a diehard fan before the OH? Or were the prior decades of his life spent in "average fan-dom?"

So I don't think the whole "O's message board" litmus test holds any water at all. Just because some people around here have an ego and think the OH is ZOMFGZZZ TEH BEST EVAR doesn't mean you can be a "diehard" fan without being part of a message board here.

Read it again, I know it might be hard to comprehend.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions. I'm saying that the average fan isn't on this message board. I know you told El Gordo that you're dumb, but I know better than that. You're not THAT dumb.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions. I'm saying that the average fan isn't on this message board. I know you told El Gordo that you're dumb, but I know better than that. You're not THAT dumb.

Slappy, I was being sarcastic. Apparently El Gordo couldn't pick up on it.

I really don't get what's so hard about MacPhail offering up an explanation as to what took so long. Don't get it twisted, I'm not EXPECTING it, I'm just saying, it'd be nice.

Aren't you the LEAST bit curious as to what will have taken almost TWO WEEKS for this thing to play out?

Slappy, I was being sarcastic. Apparently El Gordo couldn't pick up on it.

I really don't get what's so hard about MacPhail offering up an explanation as to what took so long. Don't get it twisted, I'm not EXPECTING it, I'm just saying, it'd be nice.

Aren't you the LEAST bit curious as to what will have taken almost TWO WEEKS for this thing to play out?

I guess I'm curious, but as long as the trade gets done I really don't care.

I really and truly don't care. Why should I? I've been waiting for the better part of 10 years for someone to come in here and be honest with the owner and the fanbase about the level of talent in the organization. Andy MacPhail has taken a look, realized that the best method is to rebuild, and is well on his way to doing just that.

I'm happy that it's in process. I'm happy someone finally GETS it. I guess that's enough for me.

I guess I'm curious, but as long as the trade gets done I really don't care.

I really and truly don't care. Why should I? I've been waiting for the better part of 10 years for someone to come in here and be honest with the owner and the fanbase about the level of talent in the organization. Andy MacPhail has taken a look, realized that the best method is to rebuild, and is well on his way to doing just that.

I'm happy that it's in process. I'm happy someone finally GETS it. I guess that's enough for me.

When it's all said and done, I supposed I don't really care either. In the middle of July, I know I won't care.

I know you're curious slappy, you sure as hell do sound it every time we talk. We're ALL curious.

So would it be so wrong for Andy Mac to throw us a bone? Not saying he's obligated to, just saying it'd be nice...

When it's all said and done, I supposed I don't really care either. In the middle of July, I know I won't care.

I know you're curious, we're ALL curious.

So would it be so wrong for Andy Mac to throw us a bone?

No, it wouldn't be wrong, but far be it from me to question the man. He's the General Manager here. He's been doing this a long, long time. As long as he gets the job done, I could care less how he goes about it.

First of all, I don’t buy into the rationale that we – the diehard fans – feel entitled to this “need” for explanation because we are the die-hard fans, because we check message boards, because we believe everything any insider has ever said. This morning, I’m listening to WBAL radio while getting ready for work. Keith Mills starts his sports report by saying “Erik Bedard trade STILL on hold” and then he and Dave Durian start joking around about “breaking news” etc. Read some of Roch’s most recent blog entries. Reporters who cover the team day-to-day are starting to treat this situation – and by extension, this team – as a joke. It’s bad enough the national media does it, now our hometown guys are too. That in itself is enough for me to speculate that the Orioles need a bit of good PR after this interminable "we're this close to making the trade" reaches its conclusion.

This potential explanation-as-PR-move has nothing to do with how rabid some of us Hangerouters are for news. I’d venture to say WBAL’s audience is not made up of rabid Hangerouter-type fans. The casual Oriole fan just got a big dose of Oriole ineptitude and media frustration during this morning's Sports Report.

As for the PR aspect - is it just me or has the Orioles PR gone in the crapper since the departure of John Maroon?

Witchy

First of all, I don’t buy into the rationale that we – the diehard fans – feel entitled to this “need” for explanation because we are the die-hard fans, because we check message boards, because we believe everything any insider has ever said. This morning, I’m listening to WBAL radio while getting ready for work. Keith Mills starts his sports report by saying “Erik Bedard trade STILL on hold” and then he and Dave Durian start joking around about “breaking news” etc. Read some of Roch’s most recent blog entries. Reporters who cover the team day-to-day are starting to treat this situation – and by extension, this team – as a joke. It’s bad enough the national media does it, now our hometown guys are too. That in itself is enough for me to speculate that the Orioles need a bit of good PR after this interminable "we're this close to making the trade" reaches its conclusion.

This potential explanation-as-PR-move has nothing to do with how rabid some of us Hangerouters are for news. I’d venture to say WBAL’s audience is not made up of rabid Hangerouter-type fans. The casual Oriole fan just got a big dose of Oriole ineptitude and media frustration during this morning's Sports Report.

As for the PR aspect - is it just me or has the Orioles PR gone in the crapper since the departure of John Maroon?

Witchy

***Press conference***

Andy MacPhail : I am happy to announce that we have traded LHP Erik Bedard to the Seattle Mariners for 5 players. Outfielder Adam Jones, LHP George Sherrill, RHP Chris Tillman, LHP Tony Butler, and LHP Kam Mickolio. Any questions?

Reporter #1 : Much has been made about the length of time this trade took to actually come to fruition. There have been countless rumors, speculation and ideas about what exactly happened. Can you shed a little light for everyone about what transpired ever since Adam Jones told a Venezuelan reporter that he had been traded to Baltimore?

MacPhail : I think that there were some contractual details that we wanted to ensure weren't compromised by Adam letting the proverbial cat out of the bag. We felt it important to make sure that our return on this deal was healthy and sufficient for our best pitcher, Erik Bedard. We are happy with the players received in return and look forward to continuing to reconstruct a sustainable winning product here in Baltimore.

Hank Scorpio : /content/

Media : /uproar/

But, why will anyone care once the trade is announced? Why will any of it matter? If we were in the middle of the season and the games missed during those two weeks may have gone differently if we'd moved sooner, I would understand why it would still matter, but that isn't the situation. The point is the result AND not upsetting the teams you have to deal with on a daily basis. And Seattle doesn't seem to be upset at all though I'm obviously speculating.

BTW, the fact that the reporters are acting like this is a big joke, w/o offering any info they as to WHY it is a big joke, is an indictment of the reporters more than a validation of the rest of the us. Lets be honest. This is an "easy" joke and MOSTLY because of the Seattle leaks. If Seattle keeps its mouth shut, nobody knows this has been going on this long and none of us are frustrated. It is classic "tree falls in the woods with nobody around" stuff.

I can't speak for anyone at the Sun, but I'm sure that they're frustrated because MacPhail has the front office on LOCKDOWN. Duquette and Flanagan would at least acknowledge that something was going on. MacPhail is as mum as mum can be and all indications are that he's got pretty much everyone on verbal lockdown.

I'm sure the media is p'd off about the lack of info. They have other stuff to report with spring training a few weeks away. Can't very well print out an O's preview when you don't know what the roster's gonna look like.

I don't blame the media for their frustrations, but they have a very different interest in this situation than I do as a fan.

If Seattle keeps its mouth shut, nobody knows this has been going on this long and none of us are frustrated. It is classic "tree falls in the woods with nobody around" stuff.

VT...again, your points are very well taken. But, the fact of the matter is that Seattle did open its mouth and by most all accounts we DO know it has taken "this long". "This long". You use those words yourself. Why has it taken this long? IMO, its simply not typical. Whether we merit an explanation or not, well, that is the perogative of the Orioles. But you can't help but wonder why. I don't obsess over it mind you, it more a laughable curiosity for me at thus point

I can't speak for anyone at the Sun, but I'm sure that they're frustrated because MacPhail has the front office on LOCKDOWN. Duquette and Flanagan would at least acknowledge that something was going on. MacPhail is as mum as mum can be and all indications are that he's got pretty much everyone on verbal lockdown.

I'm sure the media is p'd off about the lack of info. They have other stuff to report with spring training a few weeks away. Can't very well print out an O's preview when you don't know what the roster's gonna look like.

I don't blame the media for their frustrations, but they have a very different interest in this situation than I do as a fan.

Hank, I don't care what the media says. But, as a fan, I would like to move forward with this thing knowing we have a direction. I know people, especially media, is frustrated with AM but as long as we get what we need to move this franchise forward, I don't care. I guess I am agreeing with your opinion :)

Archived