Are you worried about the Red Sox?

Valhalla

Just when I was about to give this Board credit for not going into the annual "sky is falling" mentality because the O's haven't done much and other AL East teams have made big splashes... Seems like we go through this every year.

I think the poster may not be an Orioles fan.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every year I worry about the BoSox, and I don't expect that to change. They're always going to have the money to make the kind of changes they made this offseason.

Btw, Panda is more than a decent player.

He's better than Nick. Not by a lot, but he is. We don't know how Nick plays in the World Series yet.

Even if they acquire Lester and Hammel, who pitches after them in the rotation? Bucholtz, Workman, and Kelly? They were 25 G out last season. How many W will Panda and Hanley give them over what they got from 3B and LF last season? They have a lot of work to do.

I don't understand the Boston moves so far. They are weakening themselves defensively, have a slow team, especially in the middle of the lineup and still haven't addressed their pitching problems. They just got themselves out of budget hell and now seemed to be on the express lane to get back to it. What's to worry about?

Swing hard,just in case you hit something

To answer the OP, the Red Sox lack starting pitching, so no I don't fear them....

I have a more general question though and I admit not having done any research - but why is Boston considered a "big market" (with a $180 million payroll, etc.) and Baltimore is not?

I believe population wise Boston and Baltimore are about the same? Is Boston's fanbase and/or TV contract that much bigger than ours?

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past so my apologies for being redundant.

Even if they acquire Lester and Hammel, who pitches after them in the rotation? Bucholtz, Workman, and Kelly? They were 25 G out last season. How many W will Panda and Hanley give them over what they got from 3B and LF last season? They have a lot of work to do.

They were 26 games out in 2012. There is some talent there on the offensive side. A lot of players had career years for them in 2013, and a lot of guys had terrible years in 2014. If their incumbent position players have middle of the road years in 2015, and Ramirez and Sandoval have solid middle of the road years for them, they will be an above average AL offense. Rusny Castillo is a huge wild card, and if he turns out to be good, their offense could be elite. So, it boils down to, who will pitch for them?

To answer the OP, the Red Sox lack starting pitching, so no I don't fear them....

I have a more general question though and I admit not having done any research - but why is Boston considered a "big market" (with a $180 million payroll, etc.) and Baltimore is not?

I believe population wise Boston and Baltimore are about the same? Is Boston's fanbase and/or TV contract that much bigger than ours?

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past so my apologies for being redundant.

Boston's metropolitan media market is ranked 6th, Baltimore is 26th per stationranking.com

I know that people only want to see puppies and sunshine here, but the Red Sox are spending hundreds of millions to sign talent like Handley, Sandovel, Cespedes, Lester. The O's are not putting any extra money in to compete.

It is a lovely thought that we don't need any extra talent, or free agents, but it is unrealistic. While the Red Sox are building a team stacked to win another WS, the O's are letting Cruz and Miller slip away. If you take away Cruz from 2014 we wouldn't even make wild card.

Are you serious? Worried about them in November? No. Not at all.

Not worried about them right now. Sandoval and Ramirez contracts are terrible, and they might not improve all that much with them given they are downgrading their defense and Panda and HanRam have trouble staying healthy.

I just hope they trade Betts and/or Bogaerts for a guy like Hamels. If they do, I won't be worried about them much at all.

Not worried about them right now. Sandoval and Ramirez contracts are terrible, and they might not improve all that much with them given they are downgrading their defense and Panda and HanRam have trouble staying healthy.

I just hope they trade Betts and/or Bogaerts for a guy like Hamels. If they do, I won't be worried about them much at all.

Not worried about them. But see that's the thing. All it takes is for Hamels to be lights out for 1 year and lead them to a WS and then they can just spend themselves out of the bad contracts. We've all been waiting for the Yankees bad contracts to catch up with them but they've had 22 straight winning seasons. Then the big money teams can make the big move at the deadline to add to their team. In any other division we would be set up to be division favorites for the next 3-5 years. But in the AL East a team can just spend a half billion in an offseason and go from worst to first.

Not worried about them. But see that's the thing. All it takes is for Hamels to be lights out for 1 year and lead them to a WS and then they can just spend themselves out of the bad contracts. We've all been waiting for the Yankees bad contracts to catch up with them but they've had 22 straight winning seasons. Then the big money teams can make the big move at the deadline to add to their team. In any other division we would be set up to be division favorites for the next 3-5 years. But in the AL East a team can just spend a half billion in an offseason and go from worst to first.

In so many words, I feel as though describes the unfortunate paradigm of playing in the AL East.

I think the poster may not be an Orioles fan.

This was his previous effort in starting a thread to "elicit discussion":

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/145013-Buck-s-reputation-that-he-can-t-win-the-big-games

Valhalla may be going the way of oriolesfanstan, who actually managed to accumulate 3 red pips before he was finally given the permanent boot.

Archived