Donaldson Trade (O's Related)

millertime

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope you're right. I don't ever see Manny having another defensive season like he did in 2012 though, and it would be hard to make up for it with an increase in offense.

I'm sure he could do 5-6 WAR in a healthy season, but Donaldsons first two seasons just seems like a lofty goal to aim for.

I didn't mean to suggest that Manny will ever have a 7-8 WAR season. I'm just saying that going forward, I like his future more than Donaldson's.

I respect that opinion. I just think some GM would be leary of a 22 year old who has had 3 k ee surgerys. And who's main value has been on defense. Someone looking for an offensive player who also plays solid defense and is under control for 4 more years. My main concern is Manny is injury prone and will never stay on the field enough. He's definitely not an extension candidate at this point.

Not to pick nits, but I believe Manny has only had two surgeries, not three. He had a dislocated knee in 2011 while in the minors, but did not have surgery for it. He missed about a month. The reason he had surgery in 2013 was that the injury was to the same knee and the doctors felt there was a risk that dislocation would be a recurring problem. The surgery was intended to correct a structural problem and should prevent the injury from recurring. Ditto for this year's surgery on the other knee. So, while it's true that Manny has had three knee injuries and two surgical procedures in his career, I don't assume he will have further knee problems, though it is certainly possible he will.

It is just my opinion, but I think Manny is going to become a beast offensively. He had an .855 OPS after May 31 last year, after using May (.556 OPS) as his spring training. He began to hit for power last year (12 HR in 82 games), and that's going to increase as he matures. I have a lot of confidence in his future.

Archived