Donaldson Trade (O's Related)

millertime

The BJ's didn't suck last year because of lack of offense, it was pitching. They have done nothing to improve that. They upgraded at C and 3B (but lost a bit at DH and don't have a LF and CF). That doesn't mean much if they don't improve their SP and bullpen.

Martin actually helps the pitching staff dramatically. We take players like weiters and joseph for granted but I can only imagine how big a drop off we'd experience with someone as incompetent as navarro behind the dish.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The jays needed to improve dramatically, and I don't really think that they have.

When the prospect lists pop for '15, Barreto will be top 50. We're possibly talking Bundy territory. This thread isn't O's related at all, as they were the last team trading for Donaldson.

I would agree with this thought in principle.

To catch LAST years Orioles they would have to improve dramatically. Lets not forget the Orioles have their own moves to make yet. Lets see how things stand when the dust settles, I have faith DD will make some moves that will help this team widen that gap again.

What makes you think that? Even in 2012, when Manny had one of the greatest defensive seasons in baseball history, he didn't top either of Donaldsons WAR numbers the last 2 years. I'm not sure we can just "Expect" a 7-8 WAR season from a healthy Manny, like Donaldson has done last 2 years. Thats a lot to ask for.

Donaldson is a very good player, but he's not that young for a guy who hasn't been in the majors a long time. He'll play next year at 29 years old. Manny will be 22.

Folks seem to have a real hard time grasping what a difference age makes. Despite Drungo's extensive evidence.

Donaldson may already be on his decline. Drungo makes quite a case against folks like Steve Pearce, Donaldson, and Jose Bautista. The are quite rare.

Donaldson is a very good player, but he's not that young for a guy who hasn't been in the majors a long time. He'll play next year at 29 years old. Manny will be 22.

I hope you're right. I don't ever see Manny having another defensive season like he did in 2012 though, and it would be hard to make up for it with an increase in offense.

I'm sure he could do 5-6 WAR in a healthy season, but Donaldsons first two seasons just seems like a lofty goal to aim for.

I hope you're right. I don't ever see Manny having another defensive season like he did in 2012 though, and it would be hard to make up for it with an increase in offense.

I'm sure he could do 5-6 WAR in a healthy season, but Donaldsons first two seasons just seems like a lofty goal to aim for.

Without that foul territory, Donaldson's glove won't look so golden. A lot of free putouts there.

139 562 515 75 139 20 0 33 85 2 3 37 169 .270 .326 .501 .827 121 258 8 7 0 3 6

160 673 584 103 167 42 1 53 138 4 1 72 199 .286 .370 .634 1.004 168 370 4 10 0 7 12

Donaldson could have a drop off.

He could. You could say that about anyone. However, he's had two really good years in a row and plays plus defense. I do believe in the theory that players who blossom late, also have a few peak seasons before they fall off a cliff. However, I think part of Donaldson blossoming late is because he came up as a catcher.

He says he learned from watching Jose Bautista.

Manny is starting to play like he's 30. He can't stay on the field. He got hurt getting out of the box. He is injury prone. Enough said.

Age is a factor. As is 3 knee surgerys 22. Mannys going to have to stay on the field to actually be a factor.

I didn't mention it, but yeah. He may be 22, but he won't play like a 22 year old in the field with two reconstructed knees. He'll still be good but its unreasonable to expect him to still have the same speed and range out there at 3B as he did a couple years ago.

Archived