What does Nick's departure say to the other players who we may want to retain?

Frobby

It's very interesting that DD has structured the O's contracts so that eleven players become free agents in one year. That is not the traditional thing to do.

I'm not sure that was part of some master plan. In fact, I very much doubt it.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure that was part of some master plan. In fact, I very much doubt it.

He's not stupid. It is certainly in his job description to ensure that the team wins year after year. He controls the contracts length. He had to know what he was setting up at the end of this year.

He's not stupid. It is certainly in his job description to ensure that the team wins year after year. He controls the contracts length. He had to know what he was setting up at the end of this year.

Sorry, I don't agree that this is some sort of diabolical master plan.

Of the free agents we have at the end of the year, who is on a multi-year deal that Duquette negotiated? I think the answer is three -- Wei Yin Chen , Darren O'Day and Ryan Webb. Wieters, Davis, De Aza, Norris, Hunter, and Pearce were all arbitration eligible. Wieters and Davis are represented by Boras and were approached about long term deals but they got nowhere, which is no surprise. The other two players are Young and Wright. I don't see a lot of guys who should have been extended beyond 2015, but I don't think it was part of Duquette's strategy to have a planned mass exodus after this season.

Good post and point.

I remember some of this was discussed last year when we talked about the need to resign Nick and what he brings to this team.

At the time, lots of posters in OH was, damn the emotions and look at the metrics, it's time for Nick to go away.

Some of those posters are now talking clubhouse chemistry and how bad this decision was and sends the wrong signal to the guys here.

Some people want to have it both ways. :)

I am interested in what names have made this jump.

Okay, correct, you didn't say diabolical, sorry.

So why is this part of his master plan, and not just because crap happens?

It's DD's job to see that crap does not happen. And he still might. He could sign some players in July and maybe a couple after the season before free agency. Who knows what his plan is.

It's DD's job to see that crap does not happen. And he still might. He could sign some players in July and maybe a couple after the season before free agency. Who knows what his plan is.

One thing that's becoming abundantly clear to me is that DD looks for value at every opportunity whether it's an overlooked free agent like Steve Pearce or a long-time Oriole like Nick Markakis. When he doesn't find it, he's disciplined enough to look elsewhere. IMO that bodes well for the long-term prospects of the organization and by extension the fan base. I suspect that Duquette also makes a clear distinction between the team as it stands at any given moment and the organization as an ongoing entity. It might help the players if they tried to understand things from that perspective before they opened their mouths.

One thing that's becoming abundantly clear to me is that DD looks for value at every opportunity whether it's an overlooked free agent like Steve Pearce or a long-time Oriole like Nick Markakis. When he doesn't find it, he's disciplined enough to look elsewhere. IMO that bodes well for the long-term prospects of the organization and by extension the fan base. I suspect that Duquette also makes a clear distinction between the team as it stands at any given moment and the organization as an ongoing entity. It might help the players if they tried to understand things from that perspective before they opened their mouths.

I agree.

There is a very real chance that Walker and Alvarez put up better value in 2016 than Davis and Markakis do. I think too many fans are focused on JUST 2015, but the fact is Nick wanted (and got) a 4 year deal. I would have taken Nick back if it was just for a year or two, but no way for the four years.

That said, to answer the OP....apparently Nick's departure has said a whole lot to the other players on the team, and the message has not been good.

Archived