medical reports

swampdog

All my point was Balfour was not injured. Yes his velocity was down but its was not due to an INJURY.

Maybe you do not call "My shoulder is swiss cheese from years of abuse and I lost my command and two miles per hour because of that" an injury. I see your point.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't the front office laughed at for the Tyler Colvin failed physical too. Here's the real funny thing. The Giants won the WS with Morse,Ishikawa, and Colvin getting close to 800 PA's. We all know the punchline.

By the way, the Orioles had to release Steve Pearce to keep Delmon. I am not sure we had room at the inn. Dan just made us some.

Michael Morse his the extent of his wrist injury from the Orioles. Players hide this stuff all the time.

He did not, however hide it before he was traded. He wanted to try to participate. Much as he did for the Giants, while winning the World Series.

In general sports clubs will disregard some aspects of medicals if the guy is the right guy for them and they can afford him. Assuming a player isn't completely crocked, medicals do however provide an 'out' from negotiations.

In the O's case, the common theme seems to be a reluctance to commit to 4yr+ deals rather than anything else. With Markakis, they can lean on a slight concern from the medical report.

It happens at my football club too. There was a player we almost signed a couple of years back, and we pulled out at the 11th hour due to an anomaly on his 'eye test'. This player in question is now plying his trade in the Premier League week in week out.... Ooops.

His issue was tipping his pitches. He was working on commanding his pitches more which he said to be the cause of his drop in velocity.

2013: 94.60

2014: 92.75

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=346797&b_hand=-1&gFilt=&pFilt=FA%7CSI%7CFC%7CCU%7CSL%7CCS%7CKN%7CCH%7CFS%7CSB&time=year&minmax=ci&var=mph&s_type=2&startDate=03/30/2007&endDate=07/27/2014

If you look at his career, his velocity has gone up/down every year. Not as much as 1.85mph but around ~1mph.

Tipping pitches? His command was haywire, he had a dead arm, and his velocity was down across the entire board.

And low and behold, look at Nick Markakis. Most likely opting for neck surgery.

You've got a point. Nick Markakis and Os management almost had the deal done, and Nick's neck wasn't an issue. But then Os management got cold feet. And suddenly, Nick's neck becomes an issue.

....aaaaand right on cue, Nick Markakis announces that he's having surgery on his neck.

Archived