Duke@MD 2/11

Pushmonkey

He is still a lottery pick(probably top 8)....He is likely going to be a better NBA player than college player.

However, i do hope he comes back because they won't lose anyone else off of the team(only other guy i could see is if Henderson goes off the rest of the year....he could be a Maggette type fast riser).

They have a very solid recruiting class coming in, including a top 5 player in the entire country.

NBADraft.net now has him at #17, when last year he projected top 5. He has slipped this year for whatever reason. His athletic ability is impressive and he was able to showcase that last year with great players like Redick and Williams. This year as the best player on the team he hasnt showed the ability to take over a game. He needs to come back for at least another year to prove the critics wrong.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NBADraft.net now has him at #17, when last year he projected top 5. He has slipped this year for whatever reason. His athletic ability is impressive and he was able to showcase that last year with great players like Redick and Williams. This year as the best player on the team he hasnt showed the ability to take over a game. He needs to come back for at least another year to prove the critics wrong.

Yea, i just saw that actually...I see they have dropped Hansbrough all the way to #24 as well.....Surprising. McRoberts has been better this year than last year but your point about him not taking over games(although he tried tonight) is correct. It seems that he doesn't have that drive right now to be "the man"...Almost as if he prefers to play second fiddle but his pure talent and ability make the scouts drool but his lack of drive right now could hurt him if he doesn't turn it around.

Well, he was projected to be a top 4-7 pick last year, so i am not the only one who thinks that.

McRoberts has 2 big flaws:

1) He is not assertive enough

2) Doesn't have much of a mid range game

He is a very good rebounder...He is an exceptional passer and ball handler, especially for a player his size. He is very athletic(not many 6'10" white guys run the floor like him and catch and finish alley oops like he does).

His ability to be able to draw big men out and drive on them will help him in the pros.

He will likely be a top 10 pick, there is little doubt about that. How good he becomes will depend on how hard he works and how much he wants it.

I agree that he will be a high pick him being in the top 8 this year would be somewhat dependant on who all is coming out. I would think a career in line with other Duke big men is what I would expect. In other words a guy that makes alot of money for 10 years or so but is really nothing but a role player. Do you relly think he would have any success at all against NBA big men, when he can't dominate a guard based college league?

Yea, i just saw that actually...I see they have dropped Hansbrough all the way to #24 as well.....Surprising. McRoberts has been better this year than last year but your point about him not taking over games(although he tried tonight) is correct. It seems that he doesn't have that drive right now to be "the man"...Almost as if he prefers to play second fiddle but his pure talent and ability make the scouts drool but his lack of drive right now could hurt him if he doesn't turn it around.

To be honest, i don't think much of Hansbrough as an NBA player, but he's a much harder worker than McRoberts is right now. McRoberts on pure athleticism blows Tyler away, but like you said, he doesnt want to be the man. I do wonder why, it seems like the talent is there.

I agree that he will be a high pick him being in the top 8 this year would be somewhat dependant on who all is coming out. I would think a career in line with other Duke big men is what I would expect. In other words a guy that makes alot of money for 10 years or so but is really nothing but a role player. Do you relly think he would have any success at all against NBA big men, when he can't dominate a guard based college league?

Actually dominating and having the ability to do it are 2 different things.

NBAdraft.net says his stock has dropped some which is odd because he has showcased his talents much more this year than last year...The difference? His drive to be "the man". They want to see that and he isn't showing it. If he doesn't show that, he probably is no longer a top 10 pick unless alot of guys stay in school or in Europe/Asia.

However, if he starts to assert himself for the rest of the season, then he jumps right back up into the top 8.

Hopefully he stays because if he does, they are a NC contender next year.

If McRoberts was smart he'd come back his junior year, put together a great season and then leave for the NBA. The counter-argument is that he's overrated and if he puts up anotehr year next year similar to this one his stock could fall even farther.

He is hardly overrated unless you think you know more than NBA scouts.

On the college level, everyone keeps scratching their heads as to why he won't take that next step. No one has said he has taken that step by any means.

On the college level, everyone keeps scratching their heads as to why he won't take that next step. No one has said he has taken that step by any means.

Well even NBA scouts have been wrong from time to time. In fact, they've been wrong about much more surefire prospects than McRoberts (how many top 3 picks can you name that never panned out or didn't reach their expected level of play -- I can name a ton). The possibility exists that he is overrated and the skills he exhibited in high school and somewhat at dook will fail to carry over to the next level. The point is, if he goes back to school and is a year older and still doesn't take it to the next level, his stock will fall even more. On the flip side, if he does take that next step he could be back to being an absolute lock for the lottery, something he is not right now.

I think scouts see guys like the big white guy from UVA completely shut him down at the end of the game and see he is a project. I just don't see it. BTW I am not saying he stinks, he just is not going to be a star in the NBA, IMO. He is not strong enough to play down low and he is not a good enough shooter to extend defenses.

I think scouts see guys like the big white guy from UVA completely shut him down at the end of the game and see he is a project. I just don't see it. BTW I am not saying he stinks, he just is not going to be a star in the NBA, IMO. He is not strong enough to play down low and he is not a good enough shooter to extend defenses.

Well you can always argue that he can develop his strength and outside shooting when he gets to the next level.

He does need to develop some strength but he is what, 19/20 years old? It will come.

There probably aren't many 6'10" guys in the world who can pass and handle the ball like he does.

Name who YOU think he compares to in the NBA.

I really don't know. Alot of people have said he is like one of the european big men but they normally do less inside than he does and shoot better from the outside than he does.

I think he is a unique talent but one who needs to develop a killer instinct, a mid range game and probably 15lbs of muscle to be a very good NBA player.

Archived