Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

They're good because they had a good core of players that Duquette lucked into. Once they all leave, we'll be left with the true team he assembled, which is basically the MLB version of Norfolk.
Norris, Chen, Gonzalez, and Gausman are just triple A players. I know eventually they will all be gone but he acquired all of them and they look good to me.

If it is so easy to luck into guys like them why didn't any of our other GM's do it?

Plus he has straightened out player development, us scouting and international scouting.

In all honesty, it's hard to know how much credit goes to each of MacPhail, Duquette and Showalter for the Orioles' good results the last three years, and I can't quite tell if our U.S. amateur scouting is any better now than it was when MacPhail was here, though I think international scouting and pro scouting appear to be significantly better. But I don't think you can say the good results under Duquette are solely "because they had a good core of players that Duquette lucked into." That same core went 69-93 in 2011. They've gotten better results since then for several reasons, but one of the main ones is that Duquette found some good pitchers and has been great at finding role players to fill various gaps.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Breaking:Cubs give up pitchers Jefferson Mejia and Zach Godley for AZ catcher Miguel Montero . Source confirmed</p>— Bruce Levine (@MLBBruceLevine) <a href="

">December 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Orioles are banking on 2015

1. Manny can play 145 games

2. Davis will be better in 2015

3. Matt will come back and be good with the bat

4.Pearce picking up where he left off

5. De Aza and Lough having good years.

1. If Manny does not come back, we're in deep doo-doo regardless.

2. If Davis is what he was last year (assuming he completes the entire season), that should be decent enough.

3. See #1. Though, I think they won last year without Mr. Wieters for a majority of the season.

4. I don't think that any reasonable baseball person thinks that Pearce will be improving off of his 2014 numbers. DD is a reasonable baseball person.

5. De Aza is average, so I could live with him in LF. Lough could just play the role that he's in now. I don't think we're done acquiring outfielders yet.

I must have fallen asleep and missed Winter. Is Opening Day this Friday, since you know all the answers I figured you could help me.

I am not sure a lot of these are big reaches. Plus this team did win the division by 12 games.

Regardless, they will pick up a couple pieces

I am not sure a lot of these are big reaches. Plus this team did win the division by 12 games.

Regardless, they will pick up a couple pieces

What does 2014 have to do with 2015?

Blue Jays better

Red Sox better and wait till they sign a couple pitchers that wont be a 71 win team

Yanks are always around 84 to 88 win team

Rays are the Rays.

Was there a point somewhere. I am guessing you could team by team through the majors and make a similar list.

I know you hate the new Oriole way, seems to me though that it has put us in the playoffs 2 of the past 3 years. So hate away all you want, I choose to be excited we have a GM who can find talent in multiple ways other than just pissing money away on the FA flavor of the year.

IDK why Masn and the Sun send reporters to the winter meetings. The Orioles never do anything.

For the comb.....or skinny tee

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette meeting today with Delmon Young's agent. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> definitely have interest in re-signing him. RH bat for DH slot and off bench.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">December 9, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Blue Jays better

Red Sox better and wait till they sign a couple pitchers that wont be a 71 win team

Rays are the Rays.

Sigh, I clearly remember you going on with this song and dance last off season also.

Its freaking December man. This is not first team to overspend on FA they will wish they had not signed in 2 years win, its the team that brings in the pieces that fit their short and long term plan wins.

I bet there are surprises that only you and I could imagine in store.

For the comb.....or skinny tee

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette meeting today with Delmon Young's agent. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> definitely have interest in re-signing him. RH bat for DH slot and off bench.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">December 9, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Absolutely. And if we didn't Dan Duquette would go sneaking back over to the Toronto Suite for some bubbly unnoticed!

Blue Jays better

Rays are the Rays.

You have absolutely no clue who will end up being better. You have to play the games.

Archived