Should the Orioles have given Miller 4/$36M ?

TonySoprano

Should the O's have paid the man?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Should the O's have paid the man?

• Yes, they should have been aggressive.
    • No way, bullpen arms are too unreliable year-to-year

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It should of been a no brainer. Apparently DD has other plans.:rolleyes:

Media reports had him signing for over 10M a year, didn't they? It appears that did happen. I am certain Duquette didn't bid. He's removing impact players from the roster and replacing them who knows what.

I voted no but I"m 50/50 on this. For this season, sure but I can't see going 4 years for Miller based on one season where he pitched a career high in appearances. Who know what he's doing 2-3 years from now.

He could have closed for us. Britton could have set up. Britton would have understood.

You can sell me on Cruz being 35. You can sell me on Nick being over valued. But that dude is filthy. While Britton was choking away games in the playoffs, Miller was making those same hitters look silly. You'll never hear someone say, we can't over expose Miller, like we say about O'day. I'm sure glad Matusz and Hunter combined are making the same as Miller this year. I'll buy into the resource allocation stuff, but this to me doesn't make sense. We didn't pay two bats. That's fine. But to not pay Miller, a guy you traded a really good prospect for, just doesn't add up. It's not even that bad of a deal.

Edit- And Miller could have closed for 4/36. With the way Buck is a slave to the save rule, Britton is going to make 16-20 million total in 2016-2017. So one could argue that locking up Miller now for 9 million as a closer is actually a bargain.

You can sell me on Cruz being 35. You can sell me on Nick being over valued. But that dude is filthy. While Britton was choking away games in the playoffs, Miller was making those same hitters look silly. You'll never hear someone say, we can't over expose Miller, like we say about O'day. I'm sure glad Matusz and Hunter combined are making the same as Miller this year. I'll buy into the resource allocation stuff, but this to me doesn't make sense. We didn't pay two bats. That's fine. But to not pay Miller, a guy you traded a really good prospect for, just doesn't add up. It's not even that bad of a deal.

Miller was fantastic this year. Great. I'll miss him most of all.

He could demand it, but the Orioles don't have to grant it. ZB doesn't have a contract to close.

Who cares about what Britton thinks. Just setting up to be another year where our loyalty to a closer hurts our team. I love Buck. But this is where the can't get a team over the hump argument stems from.

You are going to pay Zach closer money anyway. Might as well have him reasonably happy. Boras would demand a trade.

We have three Boras clients who will hit FA market next off season, Matt, Chen and Davis. Will Duquette sign any of them? It may not matter what our relationship with Boras is.

I don't see them extending CD, but if they have plans for the other two players, Duquette needs to get to work in the spring and sign them. I won't hold my breathe.

Archived