Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there any other suggestion that MLB is actively taking sides here? I can understand why the Commissioner might assert that any transaction in which players are exchanged for a team executive is subject to his review and approval, since the deal would be an unusual one.

But what would be the rationale behind MLB (which, I assume, means Manfred or those working under his close direction) providing assistance in getting a deal done? Is there a "best interest of the Blue Jays" provision in the pact among MLB teams? Or would it just be an unwritten "worst interest of any team that is suing any other part of MLB" term that is at work?

Beeston voted against Manfred.

Angelos has nothing to lose by holding out, either way, he will win. I'm sure he wants to keep DD, as he is producing good revenue streams by controlling team budget and staying competitive or the BJ's offer a ridiculous compensation package.

I saw a report in a Toronto newspaper that said "the word out of Rogers" is that they want to split up the President/CEO job into a President of Baseball Operations (to whom the GM would report) and someone else to handle the business side. That sounds like speculation, but if it's true, the job for DD would still be a promotion, but not as big as previously thought. It's also one the O's could match if they were willing to add another level of executive authority in the baseball operation.

Honestly at this point it might be in the "Best Interest of both teams" to get a deal done. I don't want to keep around Duquette at this point because its obvious he doesn't want to be here and there were reports of it being uncomfortable and toxic with him in the front office. Forcing the O's to let him go might be the best thing for our club.

That might be, and if both sides asked for MLB's assistance I see no reason it couldn't be provided. But short of such a request, isn't up to the teams to work these things out, even if they both hurt themselves in the process, rather than for the Commish to decide they should and, inevitably, to take one team's side?

By the way, it appears from recent commentary (past 48 hours) out of the Toronto media that there is lots of angst over the prospect of giving up a valuable player/prospect to obtain DD's services, as well as over the continuing uncertainty about that front office, and that the unhappiness with Rogers' meat-handed approach to succession is mounting.

Angelos has nothing to lose by holding out, either way, he will win. I'm sure he wants to keep DD, as he is producing good revenue streams by controlling team budget and staying competitive or the BJ's offer a ridiculous compensation package.

Angelos has already lost. DD will end up as Toronto CEO, and Angelos's intractable need to win every negotiation will reduce the pool of talent that will consider taking the O's position. I wonder if there is another owner that would put up such a fight to keep an employee from taking a promotion. Doesn't matter if he wins or loses the battle he has already lost the war.

Angelos has already lost. DD will end up as Toronto CEO, and Angelos's intractable need to win every negotiation will reduce the pool of talent that will consider taking the O's position. I wonder if there is another owner that would put up such a fight to keep an employee from taking a promotion. Doesn't matter if he wins or loses the battle he has already lost the war.

Yeah, why should he make someone honor their contract or, in the alternative, be compensated if and when that someone breaches their contract? Angelos - what a silly man.

I saw a report in a Toronto newspaper that said "the word out of Rogers" is that they want to split up the President/CEO job into a President of Baseball Operations (to whom the GM would report) and someone else to handle the business side. That sounds like speculation, but if it's true, the job for DD would still be a promotion, but not as big as previously thought. It's also one the O's could match if they were willing to add another level of executive authority in the baseball operation.
Here' the link

source - Toronto Sun

Rogers called White Sox executive vice-president Williams — without permission — and then called White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who is Beeston’s best friend.
Tampering?
The word from the Rogers campus is that they want Beeston’s current job split between a president of baseball operations and a corporate type from Rogers looking after the business side.
So much for that reported CEO part of the job.

Yeah, why should he make someone honor their contract or, in the alternative, be compensated if and when that someone breaches their contract? Angelos - what a silly man.

On the flip side, why should anyone work for the Orioles if they have any aspirations of getting a better job if they know Angelos will just block them and throw a hissy fit about the contract they signed?

On the flip side, why should anyone work for the Orioles if they have any aspirations of getting a better job if they know Angelos will just block them and throw a hissy fit about the contract they signed?

I think the "HISSY FIT" has more to do with the way Toronto went about this.

Then the Orioles should be able to fire anyone they choose and not have to honor the contract they signed.

Archived