Orioles Will Not Host 2016 All-Star game (Nats get 2018)

25 Nuggets

Perhaps one of the required documents was creating a Bud Selig Plaza.

Oh that is priceless.

Screw SD. I hope Kemp's gimpy hip puts him on the DL, Myers hits .205 and can't field a lick of CF and Justin Upton just sits around counting the days till he can be a FA

Might sound mean but SD is a bunch of brown noses and Selig deserves a walk of shame not a hall of fame.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, Selig is pretty big on cronyism. :rolleyes:

No doubt. Worst commissioner of any sport ever IMO.

Allowed the NFL to replace MLB as Americas game without so much as a whimper

Sat around and did squat about steroids then did the peacock strut once the media jumped in.....what a tool that guy is

Selig said that in choosing future All-Star sites, Major League Baseball will look at new ballparks and those that have undergone major renovation.
source - ESPN

That means Miami, Washington, as well as Philadelphia, New York, Atlanta (new Cobb County in 2017) will all rank ahead of Baltimore. Unless TB gets new digs, Baltimore 2022 ?

source - ESPN

That means Miami, Washington, as well as Philadelphia, New York, Atlanta (new Cobb County in 2017) will all rank ahead of Baltimore. Unless TB gets new digs, Baltimore 2022 ?

I wonder if, in Selig's mind, changing the urinal cakes in Fenway or Wrigley would constitute "major renovation?"

That's an interesting opinion but I think you have your facts wrong. Football was more popular long before Selig became commissioner. In fact, baseball is in it's best shape ever financially and is enjoying one of it's longest periods of labor peace since the 70's. History will probably remember Selig as one of the best baseball commissioners of all time. MLB is in much better shape overall since when he took over. Like him or not, that's just the truth.

I am not a fan of Selig and I think that SteveO's criticism of Selig specifically regarding steroids is pretty reasonable. I really have disagreed with an awful lot of what Bud has done, but I think you are correct. History will make note of some pretty large mistakes on his watch (All Star Game, Steroids, Brewers/Astros, constant issues re cronies), but he will be judged financially and in that regard, I think he will be regarded as one of the best also.

I will however, never forgive what I believe to be his most intentionally egregious act; allowing the Yankees to not be responsible for Arods salary while suspended. There is no doubt that opportunity would not have been afforded the Orioles. But I do acknowledge that my opinion is possibly, perhaps, in some very small way, impartial.

OPACY had some fairly significant renovations in 2011.
Yes, there are some very nice statues and a deluxe scoreboard. I think Bud is talking about more extensive renovations like the Royals and Angels have done over the years.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MLB sources insist decision to award '16 ASG to SD instead of Baltimore not MASN-related</p>— Eric Fisher (@EricFisherSBJ) <a href="

">January 15, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> This shows people outside of Baltimore thought it enough of a possibility to ask the question. I'm not buying MLB's response. San Diego could have waited until 2017.

I am not a fan of Selig and I think that SteveO's criticism of Selig specifically regarding steroids is pretty reasonable. I really have disagreed with an awful lot of what Bud has done, but I think you are correct. History will make note of some pretty large mistakes on his watch (All Star Game, Steroids, Brewers/Astros, constant issues re cronies), but he will be judged financially and in that regard, I think he will be regarded as one of the best also.

I will however, never forgive what I believe to be his most intentionally egregious act; allowing the Yankees to not be responsible for Arods salary while suspended. There is no doubt that opportunity would not have been afforded the Orioles. But I do acknowledge that my opinion is possibly, perhaps, in some very small way, impartial.

Overall I think Selig has done a good job. He has made mistakes no question. MLB screwed up not going after steroid testing in the mid 90's. In 2002 when the new CBA was negotiated the union was still fighting with them over it. No team pays a player while suspended. Not sure what you are getting at with that comment.

source - ESPN

They just had the game at the old Yankee Stadium in 2008. All the other teams are NL teams. If that is the case then no AL team would get the game for years.

They just had the game at the old Yankee Stadium in 2008. All the other teams are NL teams. If that is the case then no AL team would get the game for years.
I appreciate that; however, NY spent over $1B on a new stadium. My bet is both NY and Atlanta get the game ahead of us.

At the end of the day, does Baltimore and Camden Yards deserve to have an All Star game, yes. Were there teams with newer parks that should have been considered all along like San Diego, yes. Does any of this change that we have one of if not the best damn ballparks in all the land? Heck no!

Archived