Post latest rumors on the Roberts trade here...

TerpmanJay

There is just no reason now to trade an all star 2nd baseman. With all the resent players gotten in the Tejada- Bedard trade the Orioles now have enough pitching prospects in their system to trade for SS-3B- 1B players.

They are also going to sign another FA SP to complement the young pitchers now in the rotation. Getting rid of the remaining dead wood will be the problem.

The reason is because he will be 32 when the O's have any shot of being good again. He will be a pricey free agent in 2010. His best chance to contribute to this team winning is to be traded for prospects. Period.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont know if this deal has been offered, but if the Cubs offered Gallagher,Murton,Cedeno,Veal...i would hope the O's would give up on the Pie and Colvin dream and pull the trigger.

Why? If you're trading an impact player you should get at least one impact player in return. Gallagher projects to be a #3, Murton projects to be a Luke Scott type, Cedeno projects to be Deivi Cruz, and Veal isn't a sure thing.

It seems to me that we're trading one of the best 2B and leadoff hitters in baseball for a couple of average starters, a low-end starter, and a minor leaguer.

The reason is because he will be 32 when the O's have any shot of being good again. He will be a pricey free agent in 2010. His best chance to contribute to this team winning is to be traded for prospects. Period.

This age thing is so overblown. He had 50 SB- hit for .290 ave. scored 103 runs. second highest total bases of 268. And he is only 30 this year. There are a heck of a lot of other players that need to be gutted from this team first. jmho, though

The Roberts deal may be one of those opportunities where MacPhail could really benefit from waiting. The Chicago Press appears to be hot for Brob, and given what Pinella has said recently about the Cubs schedule and their need for a speedy lead off guy, one can assume management is hot for him as well.

Currently, the rumored deal is for Gallagher, Murton, Veal and Cedeno. Many here think that is sufficient. But if Macphail plays his cards right, I think he can walk away with five players. To get five he is going to have to give up on Pie and perhaps Colvin but, in additon to the other four, wouldn't Marshall, or Patterson look good in this deal. If Macphail can pull that off we should through a party for him. Check this roster.

Scott 1b age 29

Patterson 2b age 25

Cedeno ss age 26

Mora/Moore 3b age 36/26

Murton lf age 27

Jones cf age 22

Markakis rf age 25

Hernadez c age 32

Millar/Huff dh age 37/32

chose five from this group

Loewen

Guthrie

Cabrera

Gallagher

Marshall

Patton

Albers

Penn

Olsen

Liz

This age thing is so overblown. He had 50 SB- hit for .290 ave. scored 103 runs. second highest total bases of 268. And he is only 30 this year. There are a heck of a lot of other players that need to be gutted from this team first. jmho, though

Yea, but my point being, when he turns 32, is that his speed will have diminished or start to in the very near future. Which is the best part of his game.

Do we really need to look at what the Cubs are offering us for Roberts? While I think Pie will be a good CF for many years to come, I am not sold that he will be substantially better than Jones. An outfield of Scott, Jones and Markakis works very well for me. Considering that most of that outfield are under our control for multiple years!

Should we be looking at teams who have position players that we could insert like Cleveland until our prospects are ready to take over? While I don't think catcher or first base are real needs for us but some possibilities in the middle of the infield would sure look nice right now!

Reopen talks with the Dodgers for Chen? The Braves for Lillibridge? Drays for Brignac?

Btw, I am not sold on Eric Patterson or Ronnie Cedeno living in the chicagoland area for the last year and a half.

That Chicago article is really interesting. If I'm one of the Cubs guys, I'm hoping that is just speculation to sell papers because that article reads like the Cubs are ready to pay above retail. Maybe this Roberts trade will happen. I had my doubts. I'm starting to imagine a situation where the Cubs trade for Roberts and Payton and give us just about every young player except Hill and Pie.

Yeah, this is a good chance for MacPhail to demonstrate his patience again. I think we could get five guys back for Roberts if he does.

Keeping Roberts just might give us a palatable year, and if we're not going to get an MLB ready position player out of a deal, or if Pie isn't in the mix, I'm ready to continue to watch his enjoyable play for us. Production at his position is not easy to find and I'm not high on Cedeno as a long term solution. I'm willing to use our sizable stable of arms, hoping we see good value develop there, to flip at the deadline for position players. Keep him unless we get wowed.

I agree that the price for Roberts should start with a high end position prospect. We've been going for the quantity, now we should go for quality. Cleveland is a better fit. Even if we got the Cubs to giv up Pie, he isn't a necessity now. Get other teams involved. Wouldn't it be great to have an infield prospect to pair with Markakis and Jones in the OF?

That Chicago article is really interesting. If I'm one of the Cubs guys, I'm hoping that is just speculation to sell papers because that article reads like the Cubs are ready to pay above retail. Maybe this Roberts trade will happen. I had my doubts. I'm starting to imagine a situation where the Cubs trade for Roberts and Payton and give us just about every young player except Hill and Pie.

Yeah, I have a feeling that if the Cubs deal goes down, we're going to be very happy with the return. :002_scool:

Not only did he receive five players for Bedard, he also received three Cubs prospects for Steve Trachsel in August in one of the more forgettable trades Hendry has made.

[/b][/i]

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080209-cubs-chicago-hendry-spring-training,1,5127882.story

I thought he received 2 players (moore and cherry) for Trachsel, and 28 year old Cherry is definetly not a prospect.

Keeping Roberts just might give us a palatable year, and if we're not going to get an MLB ready position player out of a deal, or if Pie isn't in the mix, I'm ready to continue to watch his enjoyable play for us. Production at his position is not easy to find and I'm not high on Cedeno as a long term solution. I'm willing to use our sizable stable of arms, hoping we see good value develop there, to flip at the deadline for position players. Keep him unless we get wowed.

Cedeno is a high ceiling guy. A deal with him, Gallagher, and Murton is a very fair offer. If the O's want to take another chance on a guy with a high ceiling they can have either Patterson or Colvin instead of Murton.

Archived