Post latest rumors on the Roberts trade here...

TerpmanJay

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stewart and Nelson are both top 100 prospects, I don't know if Colorado would trade them both, even if both guys are blocked by young, talented players.

Can't hurt to ask...Patton and Albers were both top 100 last year and we got them from a franchise that thinks they can win now.

While there hasn't been much mention of it, besides a few of us here at the OH, a deal of Roberts to Colorado for Ian Stewart and SS Chris Nelson seems to be a no-brainer for both sides.
Indeed, you have to wonder why no mention of this possibility is ever made. I don't see why Col. wouldn't be interested BRobs contract is very reasonable. Maybe our insiders can comment on this. Is Roberts only to be traded to the Cubs?

How could he be a team leader? He has already publicly said he doesn't want to be the last one standing, and does not want to be a part of a rebuilding effort -- he wants to win. If we keep him and start losing, which is very likely, he will show his unhappiness as he did last year. You could tell by the way he played he wasn't happy. An unhappy player is the exact opposite of a team leader.

I don't agree with this. Quite honestly- and this may sound extremely strange- but I think with this team- losing could be fun. I say that with a wink no doubt... simply meaning- it seems to me- the direction the club is taking- adding young blood (assuming and hoping we can get rid of some dead weight... gibbons, huff, payton...etc) it might have a feeling of sandlot baseball.

From the outside looking in- the "Miggy" led clubhouse- always seemed so intense. I realize there will be arguments to the contrary- but the idea is that they were EXPECTED to win with him leading the way- and you culd see the pressure he put on himself- and maybe that rolled on to everyone's shoulder.

A young team without expectations- just some guys playing baseball with friends- might be just what the doctor ordered.

And yes I know Roberts is no longer in his 20s- but come on, I'm about to turn 33- but I feel like I'm 24... and if I'm surrounded by guys just out of college (age)- I'd probably be feeling even more so that way.

By the way, here is an interesting B-Rob quote I found following the 2004 season. (posted in another thread- but figured here it's more relevant)

"I think we (the 2004 Baltimore Orioles) finished pretty well and I think that goes a long way in determining the future of this team. I think we all looked at the way we finished and what we have in place and what we have to look forward to, and I think that's exciting going into the offseason. Where in past years it's kind of been, 'We didn't finish well. Who knows what we're going to do this winter and it might be the same old thing next year.' I don't think any of us feels that way this year." - Baltimore Orioles Second Baseman Brian Roberts on MLB.com (Gary Washburn, 10/03/2004)

I wonder what his quote will read regarding this off-season in 3 or 4 years from now...

While there hasn't been much mention of it, besides a few of us here at the OH, a deal of Roberts to Colorado for Ian Stewart and SS Chris Nelson seems to be a no-brainer for both sides.

This deal should be requiried, if for no other reason, to partially rectify the front-office fiasco in choosing Townsend over Nelson in the first round of the 2004 draft. But for that mistake, we would be talking about pairing BRob with Nelson in 2010, not trading them for each other.

True. Colorado might be more interested to make a deal at the trade deadline though.

Maybe - I don't know how they'd feel about it. If Nelson is blocked and the shine has worn off of Stewart a bit....?

Certainly an interesting idea.

I no longer think Roberts will get traded to the Cubs. Gallagher lost 25 pounds and has reportedly added velocity and is now well into the mid 90's. I think the Cubs would like to see what he can do. If Macpahil is truly asking for something like Gallagher/Murton/Cedeno/Colvin, then it's not happening, and rightfully so. I HIGHLY doubt Hendry would trade Colvin (although I wouldn't have a problem with it), especially in a package like that. If AM really is asking for this type of package, then Hendry needs to tell him to get real and break off talks.

I no longer think Roberts will get traded to the Cubs. Gallagher lost 25 pounds and has reportedly added velocity and is now well into the mid 90's. I think the Cubs would like to see what he can do. If Macpahil is truly asking for something like Gallagher/Murton/Cedeno/Colvin, then it's not happening, and rightfully so. I HIGHLY doubt Hendry would trade Colvin (although I wouldn't have a problem with it), especially in a package like that. If AM really is asking for this type of package, then Hendry needs to tell him to get real and break off talks.

The same article you are quoting about Gallagher compared him to John Lieber. There is nothing wrong with that, but Law also just listed his ceiling as a 4. I like Gallagher, don't get me wrong. This isn't an attack on him. MacPhail has a very popular and productive player. He needs to get more than a number 3/4 starter, Cedeno who could still be a bust, and Murton - a platoon of. I've even heard Cubs fans on here talking about Cedeno's problems.

The same article you are quoting about Gallagher compared him to John Lieber. There is nothing wrong with that, but Law also just listed his ceiling as a 4. I like Gallagher, don't get me wrong. This isn't an attack on him. MacPhail has a very popular and productive player. He needs to get more than a number 3/4 starter, Cedeno who could still be a bust, and Murton - a platoon of. I've even heard Cubs fans on here talking about Cedeno's problems.

I'm not quoting any article.

I agree with you and the house buying scenario was very well put. I haven't heard alot about other teams wanting him. The point I was trying to make though is that we dont HAVE to deal Roberts. We don't have to just TAKE players if they aren't up to par. We can keep Roberts for now and maybe a 2B on another team goes down the 2nd week of the season and they give us a call. I like Roberts a lot as a player. I would be really disappointed if we just got rid of him for the sake of getting rid of him. I don't want to be unreasonable to the Cubs. I just think that Robets is worth ONE premier prospect.

I agree with you 100%. Which is why I also mentioned that I think one way or the other, one of our fan bases is going to be upset. Because the lack of an outright denial by either Hendry OR McPhail leads me to believe that a deal is going to be made. Either Cub fans will be upset they gave up too much, or O's fans will be upset they didn't get enough. Just my opinion.

Ahhh...it's nice to be gaining some confidence in our franchise again, isn't it.

He's earning my patience and respect more and more....

Yeah, I'm going to try to refrain from acting so schizo in the future, and put my trust in MacPhail instead. He's earned it. :)

Archived