Fly On The Wall

Bumps49

If they had and we won the World Series next year, not a single soul would care if he was terrible the rest of the contract. That's my reasoning.

That's a poor bit of reasoning. The playoffs are nothing but a crapshoot. Our odds might go up about 1%, if we're lucky. Hardly worth the risk of a terrible contract.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they had and we won the World Series next year, not a single soul would care if he was terrible the rest of the contract. That's my reasoning.

Also, signing him has no real impact on whether the Orioles win in 2015 or not. He's about a 2WAR player on average. And I'm being generous, because. You know. Milwaukee.

I would really like to know about the conversation that Petey has had with DD and Buck. "Here is your budget. Don't go over it." "Here is your budget. If you need to go over it, check with me first." "Your budget has been shrunken from last year by 20%. We are raising ticket prices, so I can get more money. Do what you can." "Only get me players that nobody else wants and wait until at least the end of January." From the latest signings, I really have to wonder what is going on in the heads of these people. We won last year with DD magic. So why would he not go after exactly what he needs, after losing Cruz, Markakis and Miller? What have they been told by ownership? We have always blamed Petey for being a loser and not spending, but he did what needed to be done last year. Why not build on that?

THOUGHTS?

I don't blame/credit PGA for what Duquette does. He's in control and he has resources. He has three months until OD to improve our club.

That is almost impossible with a reliever that will pitch 70 innings max. You do realize that right?

In his greatest season ever he was 1.8 WAR.

If Miller is so easily replaced and worth so little over a replacement player, why did the O's trade one of their top prospects for him? Why would anyone trade for a guy with so little impact? Miller had extreme value to this club. He turned our decent 5 inning pitchers, such as Chen, into quality start pitchers. He will be missed.

If Miller is so easily replaced and worth so little over a replacement player, why did the O's trade one of their top prospects for him? Why would anyone trade for a guy with so little impact? Miller had extreme value to this club. He turned our decent 5 inning pitchers, such as Chen, into quality start pitchers. He will be missed.
So you are going to be that guy too?

Because we were going to the playoffs. and it was a extra weapon that played out real well for us. You trade that good prospect so you don't have to pay 36 million to that guy to have him hanging around.

They did it for the playoffs, you know that. They swiped Miller away from Detroit and beat them with him.

They did it for the playoffs, you know that. They swiped Miller away from Detroit and beat them with him.

Yes I know this. That is exactly my point. You can't have it both ways. You can't call Miller a weapon and then turn around and say he is so easily replaceable and not worth much more than whatever guy they sign off the street.

Yes I know this. That is exactly my point. You can't have it both ways. You can't call Miller a weapon and then turn around and say he is so easily replaceable and not worth much more than whatever guy they sign off the street.

I can say that for a full season this guy can very easily replace what Miller might have been. And he was absolutely a weapon for the post season last year. I can have it both ways. I would MUCH RATHER have Miller on a one year contract for 2 million. Money and length matters.

Archived