Which One Of Boras's Clients (Davis, Wieters or Chen) Will DD Trade First?

section18

Who Gets Traded First?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who Gets Traded First?

Let's keep at least Chen and Matt on a long term basis.

Scott Boras does not make that possible. Unless we outbid all the other teams. After they declare for Free Agency. The exception being a captain of the Red Sox at the end of his career. Or a soft tossing righty who jets paid like an ace.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's one contingency where we could keep Wieters or Davis. They have so so seasons, good enough for a QO, but not enough to garner the mega bucks. So they take the QO as a pillow contract for another year.

I think Boras is so opposed to the concept of the QO that he will do everything in his power to keep a client from taking it. Even if it costs the client money.

Hard to imagine that scenario when Markakis just had a so so season and the O's didn't offer a QO and he still got a nice contract.

If Nick had the QO on him , he would still be on the market.

So if we make the following assumptions, (and you all know what assumptions do):

1) Matt Wieters is healthy and can still play C

2) The Orioles are competitive in 2015

3) Os get a Chris Davis who is somewhere closer to 2013 than 2014 production wise

4) Chen stays healthy and effective

I think the most likely candidate is Wieters. He is likely to be valued by more teams than Davis or Chen given that he is an excellent defender at a premium position and a switch hitter. He is the least likely to resign with the Os, (this is my opinion based on what he has said in the media) and they have Joseph who has proven he can handle the position defensively.

I think they could extend Davis on a reasonable contract at the break if he hits like he hit even in 2012. I think they will keep Chen all year and slap a QO on him and take the pick. Just my opinion.

Chen is coming off of his best season 16-6 and a 3.54 ERA and we will get more in return trading him now. I think the Padres or Marlins would be good trade partners for Chen and Davis included in a larger package for an everyday player and prospects. Did the Orioles plant the Ethier rumor with the Dodgers to get the Padres to offer more for Chen and Davis. Wil Myers name has been mentioned in a deal for Hamels. The Padres want to improve their starting rotation and 1B. Davis has been rumored in talks with them and the Marlins. Chen (4.75 million in 2015) is a lot less expensive than Hamels. What else would we need back from the Padres in a Chen and Davis trade for Myers?

Chen is coming off of his best season 16-6 and a 3.54 ERA and we will get more in return trading him now. I think the Padres or Marlins would be good trade partners for Chen and Davis included in a larger package for an everyday player and prospects. Did the Orioles plant the Ethier rumor with the Dodgers to get the Padres to offer more for Chen and Davis. Wil Myers name has been mentioned in a deal for Hamels. The Padres want to improve their starting rotation and 1B. Davis has been rumored in talks with them and the Marlins. Chen (4.75 million in 2015) is a lot less expensive than Hamels. What else would we need back from the Padres in a Chen and Davis trade for Myers?

We'll trade none of them.

There's one contingency where we could keep Wieters or Davis. They have so so seasons, good enough for a QO, but not enough to garner the mega bucks. So they take the QO as a pillow contract for another year.
Looking at the 2016 FA there is one catcher who stands out Wieters, one 1B, Davis. If they put up halfway decent numbers next year they will get paid. Boras will see to it.

Want to pick one?

We'll trade none of them.
I don't think that a SP like Chen, who has shown effectiveness, should be traded. Effective SPs are worth their weight in gold. I would trade an effective Chen only if the Os are so out of contention by the trade deadline that they intend to rebuild rather than contend.

• 2 months later...
Scott Boras does not make that possible. Unless we outbid all the other teams. After they declare for Free Agency. The exception being a captain of the Red Sox at the end of his career. Or a soft tossing righty who jets paid like an ace.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Boras asked if Bryant would be open to a long-term extension "Why would we wanna put the greatest players in the game in that position?"</p>— MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="

">March 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived