Davis thinks his poor performance was due to an injury

wildcard

Again, if I have a batting avg of .300 of the time and don't score or do not drive in runs - thats the other players fault for not being on base. Or not driving me in.

We are going to just have to disagree about this.

I ran the numbers.

Nine Juan Pierres will give you 4.333 runs per game using the lineup optimizer tool.

Nine Adam Dunns will give you 5.941 runs per game.

Now obviously Pierre's superior speed would close that gap a bit if that was part of the exercise.

But if you just want to go by batting average then you would have picked the wrong team.

Batting average is an inferior tool, if you use it then use it with more useful tools.

Don't base an argument on it.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ran the numbers.

Nine Juan Pierres will give you 4.333 runs per game using the lineup optimizer tool.

Now obviously Pierre's superior speed would close that gap a bit if that was part of the exercise.

But if you just want to go by batting average then you would have picked the wrong team.

Batting average is an inferior tool, if you use it then use it with more useful tools.

What will nine Adam Jones' get you?

I ran the numbers.

Dude, if I have a batting avg of 300 and am very good defensively. And play for multiple years - I am going to the Hall of Fame

It's really this simple

Dude, if I have a batting avg of 300 and am very good defensively. And play for multiple years - I am going to the Hall of Fame

It's really this simple

Really? Like who? Seriously, name one ballplayer since the end of WWII who hit .300, played good defense, didn't walk much, and had no power, who went into the Hall of Fame.

Ted Williams Hit .400. It mattered.

Best Ted Williams memory. Ted batting, pitcher pitches, catcher catches the ball, Ted does not swing.

Umpire calls it a ball

Catcher turns around and asks the umpire - wasn't that a strike?

Umpire responds - Mr Williams will tell you when it is a strike or not

Best Ted Williams memory. Ted batting, pitcher pitches, catcher catches the ball, Ted does not swing.

Umpire calls it a ball

Catcher turns around and asks the umpire - wasn't that a strike?

Umpire responds - Mr Williams will tell you when it is a strike or not

That was Musial, and before that Hornsby.

Ten years from now it might be Cabrera.

That story is older then any of us.

I am sorry.

What am I missing here?

I want a higher batting average from players which will increase OBP. Walks are also great.

And you mentioned old timers - guilty as charged

Player A and Player B both hit 315. They both have 160 hits. Player A hits 80 singles. Player B hits 130 singles.

Are both of those 315 batting averages the same?

Given the choice. Would you rather have Juan Pierre (295 BA) or Adam Dunn (212 BA)?

You can do better than this; Juan Pierre and Adam Dunn are both outliers in their own way and comparing the two shouldn't anchor any argument (even if you're certainly more right than wrong).

You can do better than this; Juan Pierre and Adam Dunn are both outliers in their own way and comparing the two shouldn't anchor any argument (even if you're certainly more right than wrong).

I chose them because they were outliers. I was looking for extreme examples that had relatively long careers (14 years each) and were contemporary.

I figure subtle nuances were not going to cut it.

As is they pretty much ignored the outliers and instead spout a platitude about the Hall of Fame.

Player A and Player B both hit 315. They both have 160 hits. Player A hits 80 singles. Player B hits 130 singles.

Are both of those 315 batting averages the same?

Closer, but what MLB player is going to maintain a .315 average with a sub-100 ISO? MAYBE a profile like a Ben Revere?

Average shouldn't be the foundational stat in trying to determine a player's value, but dismissing it outright is silly. It's a great stat in tandem with any number of other statistics and can give a really good idea as to how productive a player is offensively (either as a catalyst or run producer).

Again, it isn't a standalone determinative stat, I completely agree. But as a general rule you want players that hit for a high average. And if you don't have a player that hits for a high average the profile requires additional value via expanded skill set (e.g. ability to hit for above-average power).

Archived