O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the line in today's Melewski article with DD' quote"

"That's a good comparison," Duquette said. "It's not like Cruz was a bad guy and I've heard some good things about Cabrera, too. Buck (Showalter is) ... not going to put up with any garbage, but he also recognizes that everyone is not perfect. You have a chance to get a talented player at a reduced cost. He'll find ways to play him, I'm pretty certain of that."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2015/02/a-quick-take-on-the-os-potential-addition-of-everth-cabrera.html

Except for CF, C, 3B, SS, and 1B, Duquette has setup a great deal of competition at the other 4 starting spots and the 4 reserve spots. This move is just more of that. The theory is that it both, brings out the best in all participants, and creates depth at the ML level in AAA with everyone pushing each other to do better.

2B - Schoop - Flaherty - Cabrera - Navarro

UTI - Flaherty - Cabrera, - Navarro - Paredes - Janish - Ozzie Martinez (ML experience)

Corner OF - Snider - De Aza - Young - Pearce - Lough - Urrutia - Alvarez - Reimold - Parmelee - Hassan

I am a little surprised by this signing in that I thought they were happy with Flaherty and Lough on the bench. The suggestion that Cabrera might play the OF some seems like a threat to Lough as well as Flaherty. In the back of my mind, this also sets up a trade of Schoop in something bigger.

Good list. You can add Jayson Nix to the utility infield options.

I do find it curious that in span of 24 hours, Roch blogs about Janish, we sign Nix, and the Cabrera talks surface publicly for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your evidence that he is lazy? Being not that good doesn't equate to not being good.

How soon we forget.

How about this for evidence. Routine ground ball in the late innings of last years playoffs, with a runner on 1st, and he lackadaisically soft tosses the throw to second base and the runner beats the throw. LAZY. He jogs out every ball he hits. LAZY.

The pot charges were dropped. He is going to trial (if it goes to trial) for resisting arrest.

The marijuana related DUI is not charged. But he still received a citation for possession, at least that's what one of the articles posted here suggested.

If Cabrera is convicted of the marijuana charge, doesn't that count as a second offense for a banned substance and an automatic 100 game suspension?

Marijuana is not a banned substance. At least not in the majors. That is why the Astro promoted Singleton so early.

The pot charges were dropped. He is going to trial (if it goes to trial) for resisting arrest.
The marijuana related DUI is not charged. But he still received a citation for possession, at least that's what one of the articles posted here suggested.

That is what I understood from the articles. And a citation probably does not fit the CBA criteria either.

It doesn't sound like they are concerned.

Cabrera is coming off an injury-plagued season that saw him miss 69 games with left hamstring injuries, but the Orioles recently scouted him working out in Miami and are confident that he’s healthy. They also believe his off-the-field issues -- he is facing an April trial for a resisting arrest charge in California -- can be resolved quickly.

LINK

So, the physical was yesterday, but the deal won't be finalized until at least tomorrow and possibly over the weekend.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-thoughts-on-the-orioles-pending-acquisition-of-infielder-everth-cabrera-20150218-story.html?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Anybody think the reason for the delay is a possible pending trade that would free up Cabrera's spot on the 40 man roster?

So, the physical was yesterday, but the deal won't be finalized until at least tomorrow and possibly over the weekend.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-thoughts-on-the-orioles-pending-acquisition-of-infielder-everth-cabrera-20150218-story.html?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Anybody think the reason for the delay is a possible pending trade that would free up Cabrera's spot on the 40 man roster?

Parades makes the most sense to be gone.

Archived