O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's paid Ryan Webb $1.8 m and he spent a month in the minors last season. They couldn't option Ubaldo but paid him $11.3 m only to stash him on the DL for a month and then hide him in the bullpen for another month. If Ubaldo had an option, I am near certain he would have been optioned last season since they basically did all they could to hide him anyway. They paid Francisco Peguero $600K to play exclusively in the minors before getting released. Reimold was paid $1 m last year without ever reaching Baltimore.

I think there is enough evidence to suggest that if Cabrera doesn't perform, he won't stick around long on the major league team. I think his salary (which is based partially on his past successes) will give him an inside edge at making the team out of Spring Training, but I don't think he's going to be on the team the entire year just because of his salary.

Reimold only got the portion of his salary from the Orioles until he went to Canada.

The point I'm making is that it's hard to put someone in your lineup when they put up the kind of offensive numbers he does in Petco (.630 OPS). His .670 OPS outside of Petco is a lot less ugly and would get him put in the lineup more and would compliment his speed and defense a better. For what it's worth, he has a 1.045 OPS in 11 plate appearances in Camden Yards. If he gets regular at bats, I predict he'll have a .700-.730 OPS this year for the Orioles.

He's been so up-and-down, there's no telling what he might do. .700-.730 is definitely possible. So is .550-.570. Hopefully he has a good year.

The O's paid Ryan Webb $1.8 m and he spent a month in the minors last season. They couldn't option Ubaldo but paid him $11.3 m only to stash him on the DL for a month and then hide him in the bullpen for another month. If Ubaldo had an option, I am near certain he would have been optioned last season since they basically did all they could to hide him anyway. They paid Francisco Peguero $600K to play exclusively in the minors before getting released. Reimold was paid $1 m last year without ever reaching Baltimore.

I think there is enough evidence to suggest that if Cabrera doesn't perform, he won't stick around long on the major league team. I think his salary (which is based partially on his past successes) will give him an inside edge at making the team out of Spring Training, but I don't think he's going to be on the team the entire year just because of his salary.

It is February 18th. You don't sign a player this late if he isn't going to make the team to start the season. Webb was pushed out for one reason because of how well Brach was pitching. The pen was healthy for the most part as well. If Cabrera stinks up the joint he will be sent down but I think it is 100% he makes the team on Opening Day.

Nobody was clamoring for this move to be made. The Orioles didn't have to do it. They aren't investing that kind of money this late just for depth.

It is February 18th. You don't sign a player this late if he isn't going to make the team to start the season. Webb was pushed out for one reason because of how well Brach was pitching. The pen was healthy for the most part as well. If Cabrera stinks up the joint he will be sent down but I think it is 100% he makes the team on Opening Day.

Don't know but I'd say Flaherty is less likely to survive a slow start this year.

Don't know but I'd say Flaherty is less likely to survive a slow start this year.

Maybe he could be traded in a package deal with a bullpen arm? To me this move came out of nowhere unless someone is nursing an injury. The salary is too much for a depth move.

It is February 18th. You don't sign a player this late if he isn't going to make the team to start the season. Webb was pushed out for one reason because of how well .

This rationale doesn't make much sense. Players signing this late probably have a lower probability of making the team. If you haven't signed by ST then there is a reason why.

I agree his salary makes it doubtful he is sent down unless he is terrible but the rationale that he signed this late so he will make it isn't solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point I'm making is that it's hard to put someone in your lineup when they put up the kind of offensive numbers he does in Petco (.630 OPS). His .670 OPS outside of Petco is a lot less ugly and would get him put in the lineup more and would compliment his speed and defense a better. For what it's worth, he has a 1.045 OPS in 11 plate appearances in Camden Yards. If he gets regular at bats, I predict he'll have a .700-.730 OPS this year for the Orioles.

If he did that, stole 30 bases and played a great second base... I'd find him plenty of playing time. Also, if he's able to see a lot of pitches, that'd be nice. We need a leadoff hitter (maybe Lough's a possible here too?). A switch-hitting second baseman who can steal bases and bat leadoff. Sounds vaguely familiar.

Maybe he could be traded in a package deal with a bullpen arm? To me this move came out of nowhere unless someone is nursing an injury. The salary is too much for a depth move.
This is my thinking as well. They have plenty of depth at 2B/UTIF and at a lot less cost. He wouldn't be signed for depth. He is a replacement at 2B or SS. Maybe they plan to send Schoop down or trade him. Or there is an injury we don't know about.

I mentioned it before, but I think it's Moreso willingness to pay on the part of the team and willingness to sign on the part of the player coming into equilibrium. I doubt Cabrera was accepting this offer in December. Maybe it's been on the table for a while, who knows? The os don't need more IF depth/pinch runner for $5 or $6m, but they decided 2.4m was a price they would be in at.

I mentioned it before, but I think it's Moreso willingness to pay on the part of the team and willingness to sign on the part of the player coming into equilibrium. I doubt Cabrera was accepting this offer in December. Maybe it's been on the table for a while, who knows? The os don't need more IF depth/pinch runner for $5 or $6m, but they decided 2.4m was a price they would be in at.

They don't need it at that price either It wouldn't be a depth signing..

Archived