O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

I have a hard time believing they are going to pay a utility infielder $2.4 million. Does Hardy have a medical problem? Are they trading Schoop, De Aza and a pitcher for a new left fielder?

Could be just sending Schoop down so he can learn how to hit and as security for Machado and Hardy if one of them gets injured.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe not, but i would love to see them reunite in the middle. But if not Machacho who's the next SS when Hardy goes?

Cabrera is a one year deal. 28 years old.

It has been pointed out to you that he has another year of control. And he can be resigned to a longer deal if he is decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely LOVE this signing.

- He's leaving Petco Park.

- He's entering his prime years.

- He's a switch hitter.

- He steals a ton of bases with a high success rate.

- Solid defensively.

- Was an NL All-Star in 2013.

I don't know how relevant Petco is when you are talking about a guy who has hit 12 homers in 481 games. He does show a little more pop on the road than at home but he's still just a .670 OPS career hitter on the road with an ISO under .100.

I guess the question is can Cabrera play as well without drugs and he did with drug. Of course, I have no knowledge on when and if he took drug but......

Cabrera was an All-Star in 2013 before being suspended in the Biogensis thing. In 2014 he did not play well.

You can draw your own conclusion.

I guess the question is can Cabrera play as well without drugs and he did with drug. Of course, I have no knowledge on when and if he took drug but......

Cabrera was an All-Star in 2013 before being suspended in the Biogensis thing. In 2014 he did not play well.

You can draw your own conclusion.

Cruz did ok. It doesn't seem like the Bio Genesis dudes profited much. And you are only on the hook for a year. If you are gonna play the PED bounceback game, this is the way to do it.

The point I'm making is that it's hard to put someone in your lineup when they put up the kind of offensive numbers he does in Petco (.630 OPS). His .670 OPS outside of Petco is a lot less ugly and would get him put in the lineup more and would compliment his speed and defense a better. For what it's worth, he has a 1.045 OPS in 11 plate appearances in Camden Yards. If he gets regular at bats, I predict he'll have a .700-.730 OPS this year for the Orioles.

That might be a little high for him. I would like to see a nice .320 - .340 OBP with speed at the top/ bottom of the order.

I think this means Flaherty gets optioned. Cabrera brings speed off the bench, along with being a slightly better player Flaherty.

We're not paying this guy 2.4 mill to play in the minors. He's making the team and the only spot I can see him taking is the Utility spot.

The O's paid Ryan Webb $1.8 m and he spent a month in the minors last season. They couldn't option Ubaldo but paid him $11.3 m only to stash him on the DL for a month and then hide him in the bullpen for another month. If Ubaldo had an option, I am near certain he would have been optioned last season since they basically did all they could to hide him anyway. They paid Francisco Peguero $600K to play exclusively in the minors before getting released. Reimold was paid $1 m last year without ever reaching Baltimore.

I think there is enough evidence to suggest that if Cabrera doesn't perform, he won't stick around long on the major league team. I think his salary (which is based partially on his past successes) will give him an inside edge at making the team out of Spring Training, but I don't think he's going to be on the team the entire year just because of his salary.

The O's paid Ryan Webb $1.8 m and he spent a month in the minors last season. They couldn't option Ubaldo but paid him $11.3 m only to stash him on the DL for a month and then hide him in the bullpen for another month. If Ubaldo had an option, I am near certain he would have been optioned last season since they basically did all they could to hide him anyway. They paid Francisco Peguero $600K to play exclusively in the minors before getting released. Reimold was paid $1 m last year without ever reaching Baltimore.

I think there is enough evidence to suggest that if Cabrera doesn't perform, he won't stick around long on the major league team. I think his salary (which is based partially on his past successes) will give him an inside edge at making the team out of Spring Training, but I don't think he's going to be on the team the entire year just because of his salary.

I agree with everything you said. One caveat. If Ubaldo had an option remaining, he would need to give consent to be sent to the minors since he has more than five years of service time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived