O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. It wasn't a need. They did not have a hole that he fills. He provides some skills that upgrade our team in certain facets of the game. We are paying more for those improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think. They are taking up a roster space. Paying a lot more for a UTIF than they need to. They have plenty of options from Flash on down at a lot less money. He is not being signed as depth, he is being signed to play 2B or SS.

Think. They are taking up a roster space. Paying a lot more for a UTIF than they need to. They have plenty of options from Flash on down at a lot less money. He is not being signed as depth, he is being signed to play 2B or SS.

I agree, this move is puzzling. But one thing to consider is his history -- he's never played more than 115 games in a season in San Diego. His high PA mark is 449. So I can't imagine he's scheduled to start all 162, especially after such a bad offensive season.

The combination of his signing along with Nix is what really has me wondering.

It's 2.4m... It's less than they are paying Matusz for this season. Not sure that guarantees starting. The team doesn't need a lot, but if there are plenty of guys they would sign at the right price.

I agree, this move is puzzling. But one thing to consider is his history -- he's never played more than 115 games in a season in San Diego. His high PA mark is 449. So I can't imagine he's scheduled to start all 162, especially after such a bad offensive season.

Conversely could it be that something in the MIF market made these guys realize a full time starting position wasn't happening this year? Baltimore seems like a good place to get an opportunity in a transitional season as of late.

I would guess Hardy's back is the main concern and this guy is very expensive insurance. More seasoning for Schoop may be a secondary concern. Machado's health another (with Flaherty going to 3b). Nix is pretty far down the ladder with some of the others. 2.4 mil is expensive but the guy covers a lot of areas at a reasonably potential high level of play. The option for him and Flaherty provides a lot of flexibility.

I would guess Hardy's back is the main concern and this guy is very expensive insurance. More seasoning for Schoop may be a secondary concern. Machado's health another (with Flaherty going to 3b). Nix is pretty far down the ladder with some of the others. 2.4 mil is expensive but the guy covers a lot of areas at a reasonably potential high level of play. The option for him and Flaherty provides a lot of flexibility.

Maybe you guys are on to something. I could be wrong. I don't think this is anything alarming on it's own. I definitely agree it could be expensive insurance, but I also think he brings skills that we don't have in excess on the team. He can be used off the bench in ways flash would not be. Also, if he pushes flaherty to AAA, it continues what we have seen with DD, his tendency to use Norfolk as an extension of the MLB roster. We almost have a full team sitting at AAA:

C: arrencibia, clev

1b: Walker

2b/ss: flaherty, nix

3b: paredes, almanzar

Of/Dh: Alvarez, Urrutia, reimold, Hassan

Maybe you guys are on to something. I could be wrong. I don't think this is anything alarming on it's own. I definitely agree it could be expensive insurance, but I also think he brings skills that we don't have in excess on the team. He can be used off the bench in ways flash would not be. Also, if he pushes flaherty to AAA, it continues what we have seen with DD, his tendency to use Norfolk as an extension of the MLB roster. We almost have a full team sitting at AAA:

C: arrencibia, clev

1b: Walker

2b/ss: flaherty, nix

3b: paredes, almanzar

Of/Dh: Alvarez, Urrutia, reimold, Hassan

Yeah, DD does tend to view the roster unconventionally and dynamically and values the Norfolk to MLB extension. Maybe he sees more leverage and value, where most if us see an unnecessary overpay for something we don't need.

It's 2.4m... It's less than they are paying Matusz for this season. Not sure that guarantees starting. The team doesn't need a lot, but if there are plenty of guys they would sign at the right price.

It's more than they are plying anyone who is a2B.UTIF.

I believe the charges were reduced from dui to resisting arrest.

Resisting arrest could be as simple as not turning around the first time an officer asks you to. Like, for instance, if you are asking why do I need to turn around etc. It's a charge that people immediately think that he fought with police, but its usually something silly like that. IMPE.

I hope Flaherty and Schoop make the team over Cabrera, but I like adding another name to the mix, and adding a potential baserunning threat on a mostly slow team. Cabrera is most likely better than Nix or Paredes.

Well, if he can put together another season like 2013 (.283/.355/.381, 37 SB, 76% rate) he can DH and bat lead off for all I care. But that's obviously best case scenario.

Except for CF, C, 3B, SS, and 1B, Duquette has setup a great deal of competition at the other 4 starting spots and the 4 reserve spots. This move is just more of that. The theory is that it both, brings out the best in all participants, and creates depth at the ML level in AAA with everyone pushing each other to do better.

2B - Schoop - Flaherty - Cabrera - Navarro

UTI - Flaherty - Cabrera, - Navarro - Paredes - Janish - Ozzie Martinez (ML experience)

Corner OF - Snider - De Aza - Young - Pearce - Lough - Urrutia - Alvarez - Reimold - Parmelee - Hassan

I am a little surprised by this signing in that I thought they were happy with Flaherty and Lough on the bench. The suggestion that Cabrera might play the OF some seems like a threat to Lough as well as Flaherty. In the back of my mind, this also sets up a trade of Schoop in something bigger.

Well said. Dan loves to set up situations where players have to play well to keep their jobs or earn a promotion. And, with questions about Hardy's back and Manny's knees, it's prudent to have lots of back-up options. This move adds some really attractive options, and as you said, puts us in position to make a trade if we're so inclined. Spring training just became a lot more intriguing.

Archived