O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

Schoop looked terrible at 3B last year. Pearce is a emergency kind of replacement at 3B. Davis can play 3B but not as well as Flaherty. I think they want to keep Davis at 1B. After Manny, Flaherty is the preferred replacement at 3B.

Yep. Please keep Schoop away from 3B. It reminds me when they kept trotting Mark Reynolds out there a few years back (well, not THAT bad....but you get my point).

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully School gets a fair amount of playing time at third in spring training. I don't see why he couldn't succeed there, as good as he has been at second.

He was a good SS in the minors and great 2B in the majors. He'd be fine at third. I think people are ignoring the fact that he played there while he was still popping his MLB cherry.

Did he look pretty bad last year? Yes. Do I think that would carry over? No. So, if the discussion is about his ability to fill-in for Manny, I think you have to think about how he would do in 2015, not what he did at the beginning of 2014.

We are talking about backing up third base short term if Flaherty is optioned. Obviously, if Machado were to go on the DL in that scenario, then Flaherty would be called up. The point is that between Schoop, Davis, and Pearce, third base can easily be covered in the event of a minor injury to Machado that doesn't require a DL stint. I'm not necessarily advocating optioning Flaherty, but I was responding to a post saying that he couldn't be optioned because Cabrera can't play third. I'm saying that that is not a hindrance to optioning Flaherty, if that is what DD and Buck are looking at.

Hopefully School gets a fair amount of playing time at third in spring training. I don't see why he couldn't succeed there, as good as he has been at second.

Exactly. Schoop has the tools to be an adequate third baseman. I don't see him hitting enough to be viable there.

That's because Flaherity really sucks. He's lazy, he can't hit at all. That's why.

Why do you say he's lazy? I've never seen any evidence of that, and lazy players don't last three years under Buck.

Also, I don't think he sucks so long as he's in a UTI role. But Cabrera is probably better.

The only thing that Schoop has to do to be the O's everyday 2nd baseman for the next 5 years is hit better. He is already one of the top defensive 2nd baseman in the majors. I am not worried about him playing third or being beat out by Cabrera if Schoop hits. So concentrate on hitting in ST.

I find this an odd signing for a team that is supposedly broke. 2. 4 million here, 3 million there starts to add up to "real" baseball money.

I agree. As I have said before and will keep saying until the Orioles put enough MLB talent on the field to win the Championship, this dribbling away of millions could have/should have been used to KEEP proven MLB talent. Not what the ones that left do in 2015, they have already proven themselves, but what their replacements do vs what a championship teams players are expected to do. It is understood that in 2016 the com- pletion of the gutting of the team will take place.

We are talking about backing up third base short term if Flaherty is optioned. Obviously, if Machado were to go on the DL in that scenario, then Flaherty would be called up. The point is that between Schoop, Davis, and Pearce, third base can easily be covered in the event of a minor injury to Machado that doesn't require a DL stint. I'm not necessarily advocating optioning Flaherty, but I was responding to a post saying that he couldn't be optioned because Cabrera can't play third. I'm saying that that is not a hindrance to optioning Flaherty, if that is what DD and Buck are looking at.

Agreed! I know Machado has been fragile, but when healthy, he's the same as Jones in CF. It's a waste of a 25-man spot to worry about backing him up, he's going to play 160 games if he doesn't get hurt again.

I agree. As I have said before and will keep saying until the Orioles put enough MLB talent on the field to win the Championship, this dribbling away of millions could have/should have been used to KEEP proven MLB talent. Not what the ones that left do in 2015, they have already proven themselves, but what their replacements do vs what a championship teams players are expected to do. It is understood that in 2016 the com- pletion of the gutting of the team will take place.

What? Who? Cabrera is major league talent. Controlled for two seasons.

Who are Championship teams? Boston? San Fran?

Archived