50 Shades of Gregg Zaun

MurphDogg

Huh? I must have missed that. Getting ugly...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Before the Baltimore Orioles lose any chance of retaining it's fan base, the only managerial choices are Davey Johnson or Rick Dempsey</p>— Baltimore Sports Net (@mascom13) <a href="

">June 17, 2010</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Zaun, a guy who reportedly purchased drugs with a personal check is lecturing people about how they should act.</p>? Craig Calcaterra (@craigcalcaterra) <a href="
">February 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Huh? I must have missed that. Getting ugly...

Craig loves doing things like mentioning a "reported" incident that everyone has forgotten about.

He is all about his agenda.

Craig loves doing things like mentioning a "reported" incident that everyone has forgotten about.

He is all about his agenda.

What? This wasn't a barely reported incident. It was directly from the Mitchell Report. Zaun wrote a $500 check to Kirk Radomski for the purchase of steroids.

He's got a number of them, some political.

Here he is against hazing so he tears down Zaun's credentials.

I should have said agendas in my earlier post.

Got it. Oh. Zaun was a juicer. Not that it helped. But then that is what you always say. Not everyone is great on PEDs. You have to be one of the best couple thousand baseball players in the first place for it to help you be one of the top 800.

What? This wasn't a barely reported incident. It was directly from the Mitchell Report. Zaun wrote a $500 check to Kirk Radomski for the purchase of steroids.

Right and the Mitchell report was when? Eight years ago. The alleged incident? 14 years ago. And of course there was never anything actually proven, so while I certainly do believe it happened Craig can't state it is a fact.

He is just raking up what muck he can to discredit Zaun, which really isn't even necessary.

Got it. Oh. Zaun was a juicer. Not that it helped. But then that is what you always say. Not everyone is great on PEDs. You have to be one of the best couple thousand baseball players in the first place for it to help you be one of the top 800.

I don't see what relevance his PED use has in this instance.

Right and the Mitchell report was when? Eight years ago. The alleged incident? 14 years ago. And of course there was never anything actually proven, so while I certainly do believe it happened Craig can't state it is a fact.

He is just raking up what muck he can to discredit Zaun, which really isn't even necessary.

Yeah, something was proven.

Zaun recants

"I talked to him because he's a friend of mine. I consider him a good friend," Ripken said today. "I don't know how it got all out of whack. He apologized and said he used the wrong words. There was no abuse, there was no hazing. It doesn't do anything for team unity. He knows that and everybody who knows me knows that."

I spoke to other veterans on those teams who stated that rookie hazing never took place and Ripken never drew an imaginary line at the back of the plane to prevent young players from entering. In fact, he would invite them to the rear of the charter to learn how to clean blue crabs, which he'd occasionally provide on flights.

"I said I was lucky enough to have been mentored by guys like Cal, Brady, Chris Hoiles, Ben McDonald, Kevin Bass, etc. You name them and I was there with those guys. I was telling stories about tomfoolery, a little roughhousing on planes and whatnot, and I guess some of the phrases that I used may have rubbed people the wrong way or painted Cal especially in a light that was unfair. It was one of those things where a blogger here in Toronto took quotes from a radio interview and completely eliminates the enthusiasm and gratitude I was trying to show toward having been mentored by these guys - guys like Cal Ripken, who had a ton of things going on in his life with The Streak and everything.

"It's not a prerequisite that veteran players take the time to teach young players what to do and not do. I'm not trying to suggest anything but positive things about former teammates like Cal. I'm thankful and lucky to be part of the Orioles clubhouse at that point. Don't know if I would have lasted as long as I did without them.

"It was nothing more than a little horseplay, a little tomfoolery, nothing that doesn't happen in any other clubhouse. It's sad that Cal would even have to address it. I was trying to pay respect to him and the time he spent with me, guys way younger than him. I always looked up to him since I was a 10-year-old kid and he was rooming with my Uncle Rick. I'm thankful these guys even took the time out of their day and it was flattering that they were trying to show me what I should be doing."

Zaun also described the atmosphere as "boys will be boys."

"I was respectful of the clubhouse atmosphere, but I made mistakes and I took liberties with guys I knew since I was 10 and they reminded me that I wasn't there yet," he said. "If veterans (in Toronto) are unhappy with the clubhouse situation that's going on, I feel like it's their fault and you reap what you sow. You want young players to be respectful of the game. My storytelling was out of respect about being mentored by guys who were the best to ever play the game. I will always be grateful for those lessons.

"I'm a storyteller and I was trying to be funny. I never felt that I was excluded. I felt part of the team, not ostracized. I apologize for any drama that I caused."

source - Roch

This has got to be the strangest story I have read in quite some time.

So he just made up everything? If so, that's borderline crazy. If not, why the cover up...regardless, strangest storyline I have read in a while.

I think Cal gave him a call and Zaun changed his story.

Just speculation on my part.

Archived