MASNRoch: Brady Anderson and Miguel Gonzalez

weams

Obviously the rule five decision is made by May. Trades can occur before June. No, if Gausman is healthy, he will pitch most of the year in the majors.

If you are a team that can, but doesn't have to, deal starting pitching, do you think you have more leverage in May or at the deadline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's possible. The season starts on April 6. We may need a 5th starter as soon as April 14th (5th consecutive game) against the Yankees. Of course, a rainout in the opening series against Tampa Bay could force a 5th starter as soon as April 11 or 12. It depends. Are the O's using those 10 days to move Matuz, Webb, or someonee else.

I like to go with baseball politics. It's one thing to ask Gausman to accept going to AAA. It's another to ask a 3 year veteran who was the good soldier last year to go down again. I don't think they'll do that to Gonzalez although it's possible.

Wouldn't a rainout at Tampa be impossible?

I'll take a crack at this one. Teams are not going to panic in May. They are going to look for in house solutions. It's a better time to sell at the deadline, IMO.

I agree. So the decision about which starter needs to go to the bullpen needs to happen fairly early in the season, or you are keeping Gausman in the minors for a decent amount of time and burning an option.

I agree. So the decision about which starter needs to go to the bullpen needs to happen fairly early in the season, or you are keeping Gausman in the minors for a decent amount of time and burning an option.

I think his option is burned this year one way or the other.

This is my fear. There is a strong likelihood Ubaldo turns it around this year and performs like one of our 3 best. Assuming KG pitches well in Spring Training, I think his performance down the stretch last year as well as in the playoffs has earned him the right to contend for the ace role warranted by his ceiling.

Burning an option with Gausman should be at the bottom of the list of concerns. I don't think a decision on who goes to the bullpen or is traded HAS TO happen early in the season, although it might.

When I say early in the season, I mean by around. Mother'sDay. So if Gausman is tearing it up in Norfolk and the other five are doing well, what do you do? Leave Gausman in Norfolk? Bring him up to the bullpen? Move someone else to the BP, who?

I agree it's a good problem to have, but it is a roster management challenge.

Assuming KG pitches well in Spring Training, I think his performance down the stretch last year as well as in the playoffs has earned him the right to contend for the ace role warranted by his ceiling.

There are no rights. The game is too economical driven. The compensation is negotiated through a collective bargaining agreement. Which makes it necessary to sometimes send anyone who has an option down. Not because of performance.

When I say early in the season, I mean by around. Mother'sDay. So if Gausman is tearing it up in Norfolk and the other five are doing well, what do you do? Leave Gausman in Norfolk? Bring him up to the bullpen? Move someone else to the BP, who?

I agree it's a good problem to have, but it is a roster management challenge.

If no one is sore. At all. Then you trade someone.

Not if he makes the 25 man roster from Opening Day and never gets sent down.

Yes. I just think that is a luxury we can not afford with this team. Too few optionable pieces. I believe that if we burn it now or not, that we will burn it later.

Archived