MASNRoch: Brady Anderson and Miguel Gonzalez

weams

I'm following this discussion. It's a dilemma, 6 SPs for 5 spots in the rotation. Maybe Gaus or Gonzo will have to take one for the team and go to AAA for a while. Or else Ubaldo might have to take one for the team and spend some time in the bullpen. It's one of the ST stories to follow that make things interesting.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I say early in the season, I mean by around. Mother'sDay. So if Gausman is tearing it up in Norfolk and the other five are doing well, what do you do? Leave Gausman in Norfolk? Bring him up to the bullpen? Move someone else to the BP, who?

I agree it's a good problem to have, but it is a roster management challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6a00d83451fe4669e2017ee8f23966970d-800wi

There are no rights. The game is too economical driven. The compensation is negotiated through a collective bargaining agreement. Which makes it necessary to sometimes send anyone who has an option down. Not because of performance.

Sure, that makes sense from a purely economic perspective. But there is a reason why not every young super talent is stashed in the minors to start the season so as not to accrue an extra year of service time. That reason typically is said player's marginal value over the substitute exceeds the value of the lost year of service time. Not to mention the unquantifiable, potentially negative economic value of stashing a top guy in the minors just to keep some extra time on his clock.

Look, I"m not suggesting Guasman has a "right" to anything. I'm merely saying there is a big difference between arguing for KG to be on the 2014 opening day roster and arguing for KG to be on the 2015 OD roster. I think his body of work between the two points suggests the O's might be best served with him breaking camp as one of our best 5. Of course this is potentially moot since we only need 4 starters for the beginning of the season and invariably the young guy is always the odd man out.

I enjoyed the picture. But I disagree with assertion that you can have too much pitching. If you have 25 pitchers on your roster, how do you control the run game with Darren O'Day behind the plate?

No one ever gets on.

The obvious fear is that if we trade one of the six for prospects, one of the remaining five goes down with an injury immediately thereafter.

Of course that will happen. The good news? Two starters are gone next season.

I enjoyed the picture. But I disagree with assertion that you can have too much pitching. If you have 25 pitchers on your roster, how do you control the run game with Darren O'Day behind the plate?

[video=youtube;5HKeG0-nFCY]

I just don't see any reason to put any brain power into this on February 21 before a single spring training game has been played. On March 25 or so, if everyone is healthy and on track to be ready for the start of the season, I'll start to think about it. There's a dozen scenarios where one or more of the six likely starters isn't ready and the "problem" solves itself. If none of those occur, then I do think spring performance will be relevant at the margins. So, I'm just not going to try to anticipate any of that now.

I just don't see any reason to put any brain power into this on February 21 before a single spring training game has been played. On March 25 or so, if everyone is healthy and on track to be ready for the start of the season, I'll start to think about it. There's a dozen scenarios where one or more of the six likely starters isn't ready and the "problem" solves itself. If none of those occur, then I do think spring performance will be relevant at the margins. So, I'm just not going to try to anticipate any of that now.

A wise position.

Gonzo is easily my favorite starter and he gets the least respect of the starters. It would be a complete waste to have him in the bullpen this season.

Doesn't seem like any good scenarios to resolve the situation. Wouldn't be against trading Norris at the end of ST if someone loses a pitcher for the year.

I feel like Chen gets the least respect.

Archived