Mussina: I did it my way - clean

Frobby

Wow...The head of moral police is at it again...Of course, i disagree with everything you say here...Mussina said nothing wrong.

He deserves to be in the HOF but i wouldn't doubt it if he is held back from it...The question is, if people believe he didn't do anything, is his status elevated because he performed this well in this era?

That was gonna be my exact question.. and not just for Mussina- but ANY player who has put up decent numbers without the juice. Frank Thomas. He has been injured and up and down about as much as anyone. The more players busted for USING, the BETTER the numbers look of the players believed to be clean.

It should be an interesting decade to come to see how it all unfolds.

Sure makes me appreciate Eddie Murray all the more. With all the 40 and 50 homerune season- some of the luster from Murray's status to me growing up was lost.... but nw- the fact that he did it the right way- is looking better and better. (Of course, he's already in the hall, so that's a moot point)

Now I want to come up with a list of players whose stature is already elevating with the steroids era evolving. Ken Griffey Jr?...

It is a truly amazing fact that Mussina has not won 20 games in a particular season.

He has played for some very good teams and with his stuff you would expect him to get his twenty wins many times over.

The Yanks get to play the O's, Jays and Rays around 57 games a year and had the premier closer in baseball while Mussina was in his prime.

With five man pitching rotations now a days it's much more difficult to win 20 games. One trip to the disabled list can doom you.

With all that being said, I do believe he will make it. He has been very consistent over the last 15 years and one of the dominant pitchers of this era. He has been boosted by the teams he's played for, but has been a very worthy starter for a long time.

He also is an exceptional fielder and a smart baseball man.

I wouldn't want him as a friend but I would take him as a player.

HOF worthy.

It is a truly amazing fact that Mussina has not won 20 games in a particular season.

I think it's also amazing that Whitey Ford only did it twice, and those were not even close to being his best years as a P. Everybody says he was great, and he was with the Yankees when they went to the WS 4 years out of every 5. He pitched for a much more dominant team, and he only did it twice.

But for the baseball strike of 1994-95, he probably would have won 20 in both those seasons. In 1994 he won 16 games despite losing 10 starts to the strike. In 1995 he won 19 games despite losing 3-4 starts to the strike. Those were two of the very best seasons of his career (ERA+ of 163 and 145).

Archived