Sun-Times says O's want Cedeno, Gallagher, and 2 more prospects

Bigbie03

Veal is due to report to minor league camp with all the rest of the minor leaguers that weren't NRI's to the bigleague camp. I believe March 1st is the date.

And thus the reason for the delay in the trade.... and I don't think waiting to trade during ST affects this deal like most... afterall, we're Cubs lite... EX - Cubs GM, Cubs minor league manager, Cubs Minor league pitching coach, isn't there more? :D

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
None taken at all. I did not mean any disrespect to the board or any of the O's fans. I respect all of your opinions and spend half my day reading them. :D

As for my frustration with the Cub trolls.....Give them a few minutes. They will be here. They must have had to step out for a minute or two. As soon as they see this thread, they will start trolling. No way this thread makes it without them coming in and forcing arguments with board members. Please see any other Roberts/Cubs threads on here.

Maybe my understanding of trolling is different, but I don't think what they "cub trolls" are doing is necessarily trolling. They seem to be coming forward with their argument and side to the trade when they see O's fans making arguments and throwing around trade proposals that they don't necessarily agree with.

Although I think the arguments have all gotten completely out of hand, I think neither side can agree on fair value, which seems to make sense considering the trade talks have being ongoing now for three months with no resolution in sight. I'd personally like to see an objective outsider's perspective on the trade talks and the names being thrown around, somebody who is not a fan of either team, and see what trade they think would be fair...Just my two cents, hope I didn't offend anybody.

And thus the reason for the delay in the trade.... and I don't think waiting to trade during ST affects this deal like most... afterall, we're Cubs lite... EX - Cubs GM, Cubs minor league manager, Cubs Minor league pitching coach, isn't there more? :D

The O's may indeed be waiting to scout some Cub minor leaguers come March.

I have my doubts about Veal being among them, though.

If the Orioles trade both Roberts and Payton to Chicago, is four back from the Cubs enough for those two?

I'm going to say yes because getting rid of Payton is value in itself. That roster spot can be used for a young guy or to get Patterson :D.

So really, if I could sound like a crazy, 5 for 1 instead of 4 for 2. We are trading Roberts and Payton for 4 players, and we get rid of Payton's contract.

The O's may indeed be waiting to scout some Cub minor leaguers come March.

I have my doubts about Veal being among them, though.

Dave, What's the date that Vitters can be traded?(don't know the timeframe on a recently drafted player) Do you think he possibly could be involved.

I am beginning to also agree that the Orioles don't want Murton.

Some writer recently said we want Eric Patterson...Maybe we are trying to put EPat in the deal and not Murton and want a high ceiling guy like Colvin?

I still think it the 4th player that is the hold up...Also, if we are trading Payton in the deal, i think the Cubs could be asking us to eat some money.

That all makes sense. When the O's got Jones, that really took away any need for Murton - not just because Jones is an OFer, but because Jones is a RH OFer.

And Patterson is the logical guy to get - not just because he's a 2nd baseman, but because he's a leadoff hitter - which the O's have -0- candidates for - if they trade Roberts.

So, now what's happening is probably AM being AM - and holding out for another player - playing a game of poker. And I'd put my money on him getting what he wants. I think he's holding out for Colvin.

The thing that might get AM to give in is Patton's injury and nobody like Penn or Liz looking like they're going to step up - so Gallagher becomes more important to get.

That all makes sense. When the O's got Jones, that really took away any need for Murton - not just because Jones is an OFer, but because Jones is a RH OFer.

And Patterson is the logical guy to get - not just because he's a 2nd baseman, but because he's a leadoff hitter - which the O's have -0- candidates for - if they trade Roberts.

So, now what's happening is probably AM being AM - and holding out for another player - playing a game of poker. And I'd put my money on him getting what he wants. I think he's holding out for Colvin.

The thing that might get AM to give in is Patton's injury and nobody like Penn or Liz looking like they're going to step up - so Gallagher becomes more important to get.

Patterson has always been the guy to get IMO. I've been saying that off season I liked what I saw from him the handful of times I saw him play. Getting him and Cedeno both would be nice, if possible.

Patterson's speed and potential spot (Oh man I sound like Dusty Baker--the leadoff position) in the lineup looks good to me.

Dave, What's the date that Vitters can be traded?(don't know the timeframe on a recently drafted player) Do you think he possibly could be involved.

Vitters can be traded outright after August 15th -- the one year anniversary of his signing.

He can be dealt as a PTBNL before that, and remain in the Cubs system until the trade can be official, although there is very little precedent for a guy of his caliber to be handled this way... and certainly not with so much time to go before 8/15.

You could plausibly see this happen near the July 31 trade deadline, but now? No way.

Patterson has always been the guy to get IMO. I've been saying that off season I liked what I saw from him the handful of times I saw him play. Getting him and Cedeno both would be nice, if possible.

Patterson's speed and potential spot (Oh man I sound like Dusty Baker--the leadoff position) in the lineup looks good to me.

I'm with you on Patterson.

Frankly he seems like a no-brainer to be in this thing.

Reports of Patterson's fielding problems at 2B scare me. The Cubs are planning on him being an outfielder.

Patton's shoulder problem is not new.

Also, what makes you think Gallagher is ML ready? He's had 8 games at AAA, and was hammered just as badly (slightly worse, actually) as Liz was in his brief ML call-up last year.

I like Gallagher. I'm just not convinced he is a lock for a major league rotation to start the season. Perhaps a half-season in AAA might make sense.

I'm with you on Patterson.

Frankly he seems like a no-brainer to be in this thing.

Patterson intrigues me, but I wonder if the Orioles have had enough Patterson brothers that came up in the Cubs chain but wore out their welcome in Chicago.

If Patterson's in the deal, I'm fine with it, but Hendry's got to throw in a top-of-the-line alarm clock (and that doesn't count as an additional player)

If the Orioles trade both Roberts and Payton to Chicago, is four back from the Cubs enough for those two?

Yes, so long as the quality is good. if Murton is part of this deal, the Cubs are almost doing us a favor by taking Payton, who is older, more expensive and not as good a hitter at this point in his career.

Patterson is great if you need a back-up LF/RF with an outside shot at turning into a league average 2b. He doesn't look like he'll hit enough for LF, he doesn't have the arm for right (and barely does for CF). He doesn't have the footwork/arm for SS. He can't field well enough now (hands/footwork/range) to be a ML 2b. If you haven't figured out how to field your position by the time you get to the ML it's unlikely you're ever going to.

I'm fine with him as a third or 4th player, because what the heck. I would be very surprised if he ever amounts to any sort of ML 2b. He has a long, long, long way to go...

I too would love to get Patterson. The defense scares me a little, but we don't have much to lose this year and are in the position where we can really try to get him to learn the position and improve. His bat is really what is the most projectible though and I'd love to have it.

Archived