Sun-Times says O's want Cedeno, Gallagher, and 2 more prospects

Bigbie03

I dont see where they say he is signed to a minor league deal. They have him on their twice:

Ah, I only saw the second one, which is listed under "Minor League Contracts." Once I saw it there, I had no reason to think they would also have him listed above, with the 40-man guys. Again, I'm sorry.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E Pat has really been working hard this spring with Alan Trammel on his defense.He has been staying after practice and really working on his foot work.If I were the Orioles this is the guy I would take he has such a upside and has hit at every level.People forget he was voted the best 2nd baseman in the Pacific league.He can really run to.He has great range but what he is working on is his foot work and once he gets that better he will be an above average 2nd baseman.

Honestly ... If they trade Payton they can carry a 4th OF. Murton is better than Redman & Roberson. He is RH & so is Jones... But Nick & Scott are LH's so I am not sure your point. I think Murton would be a good fit, The fact that he's a .300 hitter w/ some power is a bonus. And I'm sure Gibbons really cant be counted on to stay healthy.

Honestly... who cares about getting another 4th OFer when you're rebuilding - especially with Reimold likely to be ready at some point. And Payton has no relevance to the O's rebuilding process. Even if they can't dump him, he's on the last year of his contract and won't be back. The point obviously was that they no longer have to get a righty hitting OFer. Could they use Murton? Sure, but there's no compelling reason to get him over a younger prosepect type.

Honestly... who cares about getting another 4th OFer when you're rebuilding - especially with Reimold likely to be ready at some point. And Payton has no relevance to the O's rebuilding process. Even if they can't dump him, he's on the last year of his contract and won't be back. The point obviously was that they no longer have to get a righty hitting OFer. Could they use Murton? Sure, but there's no compelling reason to get him over a younger prosepect type.

The more I think about this, the more I'm inclined to agree with the "no to Murton" crowd. I still think he could be valuable to us, but we'd have to move Millar or Huff first so that he'd get his bat in the lineup every day.

I too would love to get Patterson. The defense scares me a little, but we don't have much to lose this year and are in the position where we can really try to get him to learn the position and improve. His bat is really what is the most projectible though and I'd love to have it.

If this is your game plan, I'd rather have Moore as that guy learning the position, and get better prospects for Roberts.

Sorry for following you around the message board Dip, but I am going to strongly disagree that we can just hand Moore the position and think it would work.

You hate to see me leave, but you love to watch me go! ;)

I agree that he shouldn't just be placed there and forgotten about. My point is, if Patterson's defense is so suspect, and the poster I responded to said something like "let Patterson learn the position on the fly" then why not let the guy currently under Orioles contract do the same "on the job training" and get better prospects for Roberts?

Now stop following me before I start letting out some stink bombs! :D

There is not much hope that Moore would be a better defensive 2B than Patterson, IMO.

I'd much rather get Patterson and Cedeno and go with an infield of Millar, Patterson, Cedeno, and Moore from right to left (or Moore at 1B and Mora at 3B).

I think Patterson and Cedeno are worth the gamble if they aren't the main pieces coming back for Roberts. If we're also getting Gallagher and Murton, then I'd be very happy with that trade.

You hate to see me leave, but you love to watch me go! ;)

I agree that he shouldn't just be placed there and forgotten about. My point is, if Patterson's defense is so suspect, and the poster I responded to said something like "let Patterson learn the position on the fly" then why not let the guy currently under Orioles contract do the same "on the job training" and get better prospects for Roberts?

Now stop following me before I start letting out some stink bombs! :D

I didn't mean learn the position from scratch. Patterson is already a 2B and needs to learn to play it better.

E Pat has really been working hard this spring with Alan Trammel on his defense.He has been staying after practice and really working on his foot work.If I were the Orioles this is the guy I would take he has such a upside and has hit at every level.People forget he was voted the best 2nd baseman in the Pacific league.He can really run to.He has great range but what he is working on is his foot work and once he gets that better he will be an above average 2nd baseman.

SG has said that this is his main issue, so if he's willing to work on it, I'm sure he can get better. His bat is definitely worth taking a chance on. And why are we so worried about defense this year anyway? We aren't winning a thing, so Patterson is the exact kind of player we should be looking for, a buy low kind of guy with good upside. If he's the third player in a Roberts deal, there is no reason why we shouldn't want him.

I think you can't question Patterson's defense without questioning Roberts'. Roberts also has shown a lack of range to his right and he's just slightly above average defensively and as he ages, he's bound to decline in speed and range.

Thanks it really looks like Tim Wilken really knows how to draft.The Cubs farm system really looks to be on the rise.

So good of you to offer this opinion on an ORIOLES board in the ORIOLES Talk forum. :rolleyes:

I mean really......I know you do so innocently enuff, but this is an Orioles board for crying out loud.

There is not much hope that Moore would be a better defensive 2B than Patterson, IMO.

I'd much rather get Patterson and Cedeno and go with an infield of Millar, Patterson, Cedeno, and Moore from right to left (or Moore at 1B and Mora at 3B).

I think Patterson and Cedeno are worth the gamble if they aren't the main pieces coming back for Roberts. If we're also getting Gallagher and Murton, then I'd be very happy with that trade.

If we got the 4 you list above for Roberts and Payton,is there enough playing time for all of them?

Archived