Orioles have ongoing trade discussions involving Brian Matusz and Ryan Webb (Webb Traded)

xian4

I'm not going to pile on Matusz because there is enough over-reaction. But if this appearance happened in the middle of the season and it was surrounded by some outstanding, good, and similar results, people would point to his ERA over that time and say he's doing a good job. His ERA is spotless, but it's another example of being overmatched by righties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Gonzo gets a bit of a pass being he pitched five innings and not one. He did only give up one run , right? Or was the second credited to him as well?

Either way, given what he meant to this team last year, and that he will be more impact than Matusz, its not fair to say he is to blame as much as Matusz.

Like someone stated earlier in another thread about no one would be upset had they won last night, had the offense managed to put up just the runs last night, Gonzos or Matusz' performance wouldnt be a issue.

I don't buy that on either count, most specifically Matusz. Gonzalez did not pitch well last night, and anyone who thinks he did is fooling themselves to pin the loss squarely on Matusz. Gonzalez would have been the subject of debate just as Chen was the game before with an even worse performance. Matusz would have been skewered by the same people and been pinned for having nearly cost them the game. There is a contingent of fans that have made their minds up about him, including the same people who bring up his performance as a starter which doesn't have much relevance now, and will look for every little mistake he makes to argue their points. To each their own, and believe me, I was yelling at him last night for the ball four that walked in the run like he wasn't even trying. But make no mistake, win or loss, the Matusz haters were going to be out in full force.

I think Gonzo gets a bit of a pass being he pitched five innings and not one. He did only give up one run , right? Or was the second credited to him as well?

Either way, given what he meant to this team last year, and that he will be more impact than Matusz, its not fair to say he is to blame as much as Matusz.

Like someone stated earlier in another thread about no one would be upset had they won last night, had the offense managed to put up just the runs last night, Gonzos or Matusz' performance wouldnt be a issue.

He only gave up one run because as many have said his defense saved him a couple of times and because the Rays have a collegiate offense right now without aluminum bats. This is coming from an ardent supporter of Miguel over the last three years, so I'm not some Gonzo hater.

That's why I said "almost", chief.

Gonzo pitched well, he made big pitches when it counted, his pitch count was fine by the time he left. He walked Longo twice because he was pitching around him. He didn't have his splitter or his best stuff, but yeah guess what the O's have a good defense. He pitched well! He'll be better just like Chen will be better just like Matusz will be better. But no one is talking about this if Tillman pitches the same game - it would be all about the lack of offense.

I think I am pretty even-handed when it comes to my pitching critiques. If there is anyone on the staff that I am likely to be harder on it's Norris.

Count me in the category of fans who has zero faith in Brian Matusz.

Much like Kevin Gregg before him, when he comes into a game, I have no expectation of him dominating or even getting out of any particular inning unscathed.

I just expect him to give up runs or even a hit/walk even when he is being used as a loogy only and when he does get guys out, I a pleasantly surprised.

I know it's irrational and he isn't actually THAT bad, but he's just that guy for me, just like Kevin Gregg was for everyone or Jim Johnson w for the Athletics last year ha.

Count me in the category of fans who has zero faith in Brian Matusz.

Much like Kevin Gregg before him, when he comes into a game, I have no expectation of him dominating or even getting out of any particular inning unscathed.

I just expect him to give up runs or even a hit/walk even when he is being used as a loogy only and when he does get guys out, I a pleasantly surprised.

I know it's irrational and he isn't actually THAT bad, but he's just that guy for me, just like Kevin Gregg was for everyone or Jim Johnson w for the Athletics last year ha.

Comparing Brian Matusz to Kevin Gregg is just plain cruel....:)

And Frobby, sorry for the saltiness, but you seem to never respond to my normal, well-reasoned posts, but get on me whenever I make a.. let's say.. "impassioned" one. For a dude who I respect a ton, that gets frustrating over time.

When your posts are well-reasoned, why would I need to respond? Just to say I agree? I will go on record as saying I think most of your posts are well-reasoned, and my failure to comment on them should not be interpreted as disagreement or lack of enthusiasm for what you've said. You are a very good poster, IMO, even if I tend to pick on the more reactionary posts that you (or anyone else) makes.

By the way, in your response to my last post, you said you wanted to defend Gonzo's performance last night. Maybe that was a response to previous posts by other people in the thread, rather than my post that you quoted, but my post didn't mention Gonzo at all. It mentioned that Chen had a poor first outing.

Is it fair to say the both Ryan Webb and Brian Matusz have zero value on the open market? One has to think that Duquette would take back a C prospect or less just for someone got take their respective contracts.

In Webb's case, we already know nobody wants his full contract, as anyone could have claimed him when he was put on waivers. So, you won't even get a C prospect for him unless you eat some of his salary. The same might be true for Matusz, though it hasn't been tested through the waiver process.

If Matusz hasn't been traded by tomorrow's game, he should be DFA. Playing the Rays with a short bench is one thing, but going into a series against the Blue Jays, Buck should have the players he needs. Whoever that bench player is, he should be on his way to Baltimore right now.

Archived