Orioles have ongoing trade discussions involving Brian Matusz and Ryan Webb (Webb Traded)

xian4

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck pitched Matusz against 6 straight righties over 2 innings against the Blue Jays including the middle of their order two days ago so what you're saying isn't right. What he said was he was trying in addition to the Headley thing was he was trying to stay away from Matusz last night. It is in the same exact article you're quoting.

What I said was he should only be used in high leverage situations against lefties. The Toronto game we were down 8-4 in the 5th, and somebody needed to pitch those innings. In that case, if Matusz has to get some righties for us to have a chance to win, then so be it.

It was 8-7 in the 6th inning when Matusz came out to face Batista, Encarnacion, and Donaldson. Want to try again?

Still, I think it will take a period of sustained good pitching by Matusz before Buck fully trusts him to face RHB in a key situation. Buck had a lot of innings to cover there.

I think he would have brought Matusz in to face Ellsbury if he wasn't trying to stay away from using Matusz. No way they pinch hit for Ellsbury. I understand what he was trying to do real time and I'm not upset at Buck, but it was pretty clear that Hunter had no command last night long before the home run. Buck rolled the dice to save a reliever. I think he'd tell you that he would play that differently now, but maybe not.

No command,but he was not hit hard till the Drew homer. A dink and a dribbler.

No **** sherlock. Then Buck left his out to face the best three right handed hitters on the BJ in the 6th with it 8-7.

The point being, he came in the game when it was low leverage. You are right, theoretically he could have been taken out when the leverage increased. That shows Buck has some confidence. I have a feeling it had more to do with bullpen management, and once Matusz was in the game he needed to eat a couple of innings. It was not the same as directly bringing him into a high leverage situation. Bottom line, he is not the worst pitcher in the world, he is still very good at getting lefties, but we all know his struggles against righties and Buck does too.

I think he would have brought Matusz in to face Ellsbury if he wasn't trying to stay away from using Matusz. No way they pinch hit for Ellsbury. I understand what he was trying to do real time and I'm not upset at Buck, but it was pretty clear that Hunter had no command last night long before the home run. Buck rolled the dice to save a reliever. I think he'd tell you that he would play that differently now, but maybe not.

I think so. He brought up the rule five situation didn't he?

Archived