vs. BLUE JAYS , 4/12

OFFNY

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Gotta start sending these kids to CB Bucknor and Hernandez simulator or make them read Hernandez's art of the strike zone book that all bad umpires consult. 
    • Mystery  solved why he was shaking his hand and looking in pain his last two starts.   Roch Kubatko * Kremer had a bandage around his right middle finger yesterday after receiving further treatment for a blister that popped up a couple of starts ago. Though Kremer dominated the Reds Sunday with one hit allowed in six scoreless innings, he could be seen flexing and shaking the hand. Nothing that warranted a mound visit or his removal. No big deal. “It wasn’t going to take me out of the game,” he said. “That was the worst, but it’s manageable,” he said. “It developed the last start. We had to take it down all the way until it was raw skin and kind of build it back up.” Still odd that Ben and Kevin didn’t pick up on this at all during his start.
    • I’m imaging a baseball Sci-fi movie about a time-jumping prospect now. 
    • Without the power it really depends on if he’s going to be able to maintain high BABIPs, which is really hard to tell from AA performance. But if he can, the high OBP and plus corner OF defense will make him quite valuable. Probably similar to Cowser but with a 20% K% instead of 30% at the trade off of far less power. 
    • I don’t think the age filter shows up in the link, but go to stat filters and set age to <= 19.
    • https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=9&stats=bat&qual=80&type=1&team=&season=2024&seasonEnd=2024&org=all&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=19,1    
    • I very much wish I could have been there for this event, but on April 19th the Society for American Baseball Research had a ceremony dedicating a marker to the old AA/NL Orioles' Union Park at the site in Baltimore. It's at East 25th Street near Guilford Avenue. Unfortunately that day I was traveling to Denver for a life celebration for a co-worker who passed. Union Park had a short life, barely more than a decade from construction to demolition. But it was the home of the World Champion 1894-95-96 Orioles, and so many Hall of Famers and other stars of the day. Like John McGraw, Willie Keeler, Wilbert Robinson, Dan Brouthers, Joe Kelley, Joe McGinnity. More information in this SABR history piece. There aren't many bits of the park left, even some of the street names have changed. But if you look at the photo on the Wiki page, and the Sanborn fire insurance map you can place the park. And the rowhouse in the photo next to the entrance/ticket booth is still there. Reading that Sun article, I see Burt Solomon was there for the dedication. He's the author of Where They Ain't: The Fabled Life and Ultimely Death of the Original Baltimore Orioles, the Team that Gave Birth to Modern Baseball. I'm sure he'd be a very interesting person to chat with.
  • Popular Contributors