For What it's worth.....

Belkast

Payton makes 5 million this season.

Roberts salary is a bargain so that has no affect on the deal imo.

If adding Payton will cost us from getting a fourth player than we will keep him and send him to white sox for Uribe who may net us an extra draft pick when he becomes a free agent.

Shedding salary always has value.

I agree that it's not the O's top priority here, but you can't just blow it off as irrelevant. It's not.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think that this wouldn't be enough IMO. I wonder what the Indians are offering. How come we hear so much about the Cubs offers, but there has really been nothing about the players the Indians are offering. I wish I could compare the 2 offers.

Maybe the Indians have not made an offer????

You would ge getting a 4th player.Does anyone know what the Indian offer would be.

I heard rumors a couple months ago that it was headed by Adam Miller. I would imagine either him of Lofgren would be the main pitcher in the deal. In addition 1 of Barfield/Peralta/Cabrera would be involved, IMO. So here are a couple scenarios I could see:

BRob for Miller and Peralta

BRob for Miller and Barfield

BRob for Lofgren and Cabrera

BRob for Lofgren, Peralta, and another decent prospect or 2

BRob for Lofgren, Barfield, and 2 lower prospects

I would imagine that would be a general guideline for what the Indians would offer.

Shedding salary always has value.

I agree that it's not the O's top priority here, but you can't just blow it off as irrelevant. It's not.

So it would make more sense to add payton and lose another player potentially than to get 4 players for roberts and than just swap payton for Uribe??

I think it doesn't exists because the pitchers aren't groomed to DO that anymore.

You're telling me Burres, Liz, Olsen, Albers, can't pitch 4 innings twice a week? How on earth will they ever be starters? Two of these guys in the pen will allow you to pull the starter in the 4th, 4 times a week without killing your pen.

I'm hoping twice a week our starters can make it thru 6.

So it would make more sense to add payton and lose another player potentially than to get 4 players for roberts and than just swap payton for Uribe??

It does if a fourth player isn't being offered.

Having nobody would be preferrable to having either Payton or Uribe and a $5M tab.

Hi gang!!! Just wanted to pass along some information. It looks as things with Roberts are finally coming to a end. According to my information, we have received final offers from two teams, Cleveland and Chicago. AM and his staff are reviewing each offer and willl be attempting to make a decision in the near future. The good part is that each team has a fair offer on the table, so either deal would benefit the O's. Now it is also of my understanding that we could decide to decline both offers and just hold onto Roberts for now. Either way the club has kept Roberts in the loop and have promised him that a decision will be made quickly. On a side note---- We are now looking at inquiring another vet pitcher to add to the rotation.

Which deal do you like better?

Having nobody would be preferrable to having either Payton or Uribe and a $5M tab.

I disagree. Right now, financially, we have plenty of room after dropping Tejada and Bedard. Lets say the 4th player is Murton. I would rather have Murton AND Payton (preferably flip Payton for Uribe) then none of them. It gives us depth and allows us to not have to rush players. If we deal Payton, get no one back, and Scott busts, the O's may end up having to rush Reimold - something they don't wanna do. I'd rather keep Payton and add Murton for depth.

If the O's pay part of Payton's salary, then I think, in effect, he becomes irrelevant towards whether or not a 4th player (or who the 4th player is) is involved.

I am not a big fan of Uribe but he does fill a position where we are weak.

If we are going to just get three from the cubs with or without Payton I would rather trade Payton for Uribe. Uribe could end up being a type B free agent after this season and would be an upgrade over Luis. A five million dollar contract would not make much of a difference with Roberts and Payton leaving.

Archived