Jimmy Paredes long-term

Brooks The Great

Hot hand is hot, huh?

I am happy to sit and watch what the FO determines is the most advantageous move to make regarding Parades when considering his options (none, darn it) against the rest of the 25.

Baseball is the best.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimmy Paredes has been very impressive with the bat ever since he joined the Orioles late last season, including ST and his brief stay with the club this spring.

His track record is poor, but he wouldn't be the first toolsy player to have something click and become a good major league hitter after he was no longer considered a prospect. I think Dan Duquette and Buck Showalter are excellent judges of talent, and in particular are outstanding in their ability to identify freely available players who have made an adjustment in their games and are suddenly much more valuable than previously thought.

So I'm not ready to assume that he's just on a hot streak. If we had to decide today between Paredes and Lough, I'd trust DD and Buck's judgment, but my gut would say that we should keep Paredes.

I think Paredes has real power too. His track record says no but he had a good percentage of extra base hits last summer and this spring training. Good opposite field power from either side. Saw him launch a no doubter from the left side in ST. I'm a believer until he makes me a non believer.

BTW, I am not off of the Pearce bandwagon. I believe he will hit again.

I think this is the key. He has a pretty good hit tool (even in the minors, that is evident) . If the power develops we might have something pretty good.

Why would I want to maximize his at bats? His MLB career thus far has resulted in a .620 OPS, over a win below replacement, and he doesn't appear to be a plus defender at any position.

Please read the first sentence of my post again. Hypothetical situation. Which is possible at this point given how Paredes has been playing.

I'm not asking whether he is likely to continue hitting. I'm asking: if he does continue hitting and it turns out he has figured things out and has turned into a real asset, where do you play him?

Please read the first sentence of my post again. Hypothetical situation. Which is possible at this point given how Paredes has been playing.

I'm not asking whether he is likely to continue hitting. I'm asking: if he does continue hitting and it turns out he has figured things out and has turned into a real asset, where do you play him?

So something along the lines of "if TJ McFarland becomes a TOR starter who is benched to make room?"

Hot hand is hot, huh?

I am happy to sit and watch what the FO determines is the most advantageous move to make regarding Parades when considering his options (none, darn it) against the rest of the 25.

Baseball is the best.

I'll say this ...he his destroying pitching right now. If he continues to hit the way he is Buck will find a way to make room for him.

I get a Jim Dwyer vibe. Pinch hitting opportunities may be plentiful the next couple months while Hardy, Schoop and Wieters are offline. It could be just as simple as hitting wise as:

Wieters > Paredes > Joseph

Schoop > Paredes > Flaherty

Hardy > Paredes > Cabrera

He might pinch hit a few times a week until the club is back at full strength, then he has no role.

So something along the lines of "if TJ McFarland becomes a TOR starter who is benched to make room?"

Not at all comparable in my view. Jimmy Paredes is actually hitting well in the major leagues right now. TJ McFarland has had effective stretches as a reliever but he has never looked like a TOR starter, even in the minor leagues.

Jimmy Paredes is actually hitting well in the major leagues right now.

In 3 games. In 13 plate appearances.

Paredes has a .797 career OPS in 1300 plate appearances at AAA and he doesn't play any position adequately. Lough has a .796 career OPS in 1700 plate appearances at AAA and is a very good defensive outfielder.

Please tell me what I am missing.

1. It should be a choice between Paredes and Young because both offer little in the field.

2. If it's a choice between Lough and Paredes lets keep in mind that Lough figures to hardly play. Even less than last year.

3. You keep playing Paredes (like Buck is going to do) until he stops hitting. If he does, he's dispensable. If he doesn't you have a 26 year old switch hitting DH for the future.

Must spread rep.

I'll take this analysis, and I'm guessing this is the way Buck and Dan would be thinking if Jimmy forces their hand.

Signs of a player improving. If you don't believe the eye test then try this.

An .818 OPS with the O's last year in 53 AB's. 6 of 16 hits for extra bases. In his MLB career up to that point he had 20 extra base hits out of 93.

In all of Jimmy Paredes spring training games prior to 2015 he had 13 hits, 3 of which went for extra bases. In 2015 spring training, he had 20 hits with 50% (10) going for extra bases. Now he starts the year with 6 hits in 3 games with 2 doubles.

Could Jimmy Paredes turn back into a pumpkin in two weeks? Sure. But heck if Buck and a bunch of us aren't intrigued by what we've been seeing and are going to keep an open mind that maybe, just maybe, we have something here.

Yep. Buck supposedly told him he was making the team out of ST if he was not DL'd. I wonder what his physical development looks like the past three years. He hits the ball freakin hard. His Mil track record shows him hitting for average but not for power. May be nothing, but you'd have to be an idiot to discount what you're seeing.

Archived